Connector from 'ScreenA' to 'ScreenB' is never used in UI flow

I'm looking at the interface of my UI flow, and i have a bunch of screen, which I connect with arrows (connectors). In my actual screens, I have buttons that help move from one screen to the next, so I have them connected to each other that way.

My question is, what is the purpose of these "connectors"? How do I use them if I need to (can you list some examples)? I just created them to have a visual of which screen can lead to which but I have 14 different warnings that they're unused.

Hi Akis M

As per docs I found 2 points.

• UI Flows group screens into logical units with common settings.   
  • Even though you can draw connectors in the Main Editor of the UI Flow, these connections are only visual — the connections must be defined in the screens.

Which means UI flow mainly used for share the common settings among the group of the screens and You can also have an overview of the interfaces and interactions by connecting them with connectors. 

Although it is not mandatory to have all connector properly but when you App will go complex it may help you understand the overall inference/interaction by one glance instead of going each and every screen.

Hope it helps you.

Pankaj Jain wrote:

Hi Akis M

As per docs I found 2 points.

• UI Flows group screens into logical units with common settings.   
  • Even though you can draw connectors in the Main Editor of the UI Flow, these connections are only visual — the connections must be defined in the screens.

Which means UI flow mainly used for share the common settings among the group of the screens and You can also have an overview of the interfaces and interactions by connecting them with connectors. 

Although it is not mandatory to have all connector properly but when you App will go complex it may help you understand the overall inference/interaction by one glance instead of going each and every screen.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks Pankaj. Yes, I am using the connectors only visually for now. My question is, can you give me a practical example of how to use them for something more than just visually?

Hi Akis,

These connectors are only visual, which helps to to understand the complete UI flow. 

You can create connectors from screen a to screen b in UI flows which means that acreen a is linked to screen b, but if you do not actually ass a link widget in your screen a which points to screen b then service studio will show warning.

This way service studio is actually telling you that either your UI flow is giving wrong information (because you created it manually) or you forgot to place the link in your screen. So it will help you to correct if you have done that by mistake.

One more thing to note here is that in Traditional web apps connectors are created automatically in UI flow but in reactive web apps you have to create them manually (except in case you are using scaffolding).

This is what I have experienced so far with reactive web apps.

Hi Akis,

The Unused Connector warning means the connector has not been instantiated. If the connector is visually dragged from Screen A to Screen B and you get a warning about it this, the warning should disappear when you use a Button or a Link on Screen A that establishes a connection to Screen B.

Regards,

Nordin

Okay, thanks for the info. But now the question is, what's the point (other than visual which of course helps) of creating a link for the connector, if all the link can do is take you to another screen? I can do that simply with a button and an action.

Nordin Ahdi wrote:

Hi Akis,

The Unused Connector warning means the connector has not been instantiated. If the connector is visually dragged from Screen A to Screen B and you get a warning about it this, the warning should disappear when you use a Button or a Link on Screen A that establishes a connection to Screen B.

Regards,

Nordin

I do use buttons that connect the screens (button triggers action and action has a destination in it taking you to the next screen), but the warning is still there.

Solution

Akis M wrote:

Nordin Ahdi wrote:

Hi Akis,

Regards,

Nordin

I do use buttons that connect the screens (button triggers action and action has a destination in it taking you to the next screen), but the warning is still there.

Hi Akis,

Are you using reactive web apps? It has issues with connectors.

Solution

Hi Akis,

I understand what you're saying. In Traditional Web Apps, this should not be the case. If you have a button on Screen A that triggers a screen action which ends in a Destination node linking to Screen B by referencing UIFlow/ScreenB, the warning should disappear. 

Of course, I'm not sure what kind of application you're developing, Traditional or Reactive? Like Nikhil said, in Reactive it works differently.

Regards,

Nordin

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Akis M wrote:

Nordin Ahdi wrote:

Hi Akis,

Regards,

Nordin

Hi Akis,

Yes, I am.

Hi Akis,

In Reactive Web this is a known issue. The following post shows it too:

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/57673/reactive-web-ui-flow-warning-while-navigating-to-a-screen-through-a-client-action/

Please provide feedback to OutSystems via the Help menu in Service Studio so they can look into it.

Regards,

Nordin

Akis M wrote:

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Akis M wrote:

Nordin Ahdi wrote:

Hi Akis,

Regards,

Nordin

Hi Akis,

Yes, I am.

Yes, this is the reason that you are still getting warnings even when screens are linked.