How-to manage users in Enterprise Manager

How-to manage users in Enterprise Manager

The goal of this how-to is to explain how you can use Enterprise Manager's to manage your users

Enterprise Manager is intended to be used as a back-office portal centralizing all the common administration features such as user management and also the already existing application's back-offices. By integrating every existing back-office within Enterprise Manager, you'll have one single control panel, one common way to manage users, and thus one single entry point to administrate every specific application.

Access Enterprise Manager

1. If your server doesn't has Enterprise Manager deployed. Please follow the Enterprise Manager Installation How-to.
  2. Type the following URL in your web browser: "http://<SERVERNAME>/Enterprise" where <SERVERNAME> is the host  name of the server you're working on. The login page should be displayed.
  3. Fill in the credentials of an administrator user and press the 'Login' button.

Enterprise Manager creates, by default, a user “admin” with the password “admin”. If you haven't changed them yet, use those to fill the credentials inputs.
  4. And you're in! Welcome to Enterprise Manager.

Enterprise Manager Home

Add a new User Account

1. Expand the 'Users' folder and click on 'User Accounts';

Enterprise Manager - User Accounts
  2. Click on the 'Create New User' link (under the 'User Accounts' page title);

3. Fill in the user data as depicted;Enterprise Manager - New User Account

4. Let's go through some of these fields:

• Username: The login name that uniquely identifies this user account (must be unique across all user accounts). It's used in conjunction with a password to identify and authenticate a user in your applications login screens;
    • Name, Email and Phone:  Basic identification and contact information;
    • Company: Enterprise Manager keeps a list of companies which you can use as a centralised resource for this kind of information, through this field you can associate a user account with one of the registered campanies and, later on, use this meta-information in your applications;
    • Job Title: Some more meta-information regarding the user account, because this field is free text it's usually used only for display purposes;
    • Organizational Node: Complementarily to the list of companies, Enterprise Manager can also keep the organizational tree for each company. These organizational nodes can, through this field, be associated with user accounts and this meta-information may be used later to implement specific custom behaviors for users belonging to a specific department (organizational node) and infer security permissions;
    • Language: Allows you to specify the default "Language" for this user. This information can then be used by localized (multi-language) applications to automatically set the appropriate language/locale once this user logs in.
    • Is Active: Allows you to mark a user as inactive, effectively preventing access to your applications without having to physically delete the user from the database.
    • Change password on next Login: There are 2 usages for this field:
      • If you're using a centralized login page (the one provided by the enterprise eSpace) this pattern will be automatically handled and the user will be redirected to the change password screen on the next login;
      • If you have a custom login page in your application (the pattern suggested by the OutSystems Style Guide) you can use this field as meta-information and automatically redirect the user to your own change password screen;
    • Authentication Mode: You have 3 options for your Authentication Mode:
      • Site Default (the most common setting), means that you inherit the site's default Authentication Mode (for a new installation the default is: Internal);
      • LDAP authentication (not available in the community edition), means that the authentication will be done against your Active Directory (or any other LDAP compatible server you're using). We won't address how to set up the LDAP integration in this how-to.
      • Internal authentication means that you'll be storing you're passwords in the Enterprise Manager database;
    • Creation Date and Last Login: Just some operational information to help System Administrators manage the accounts;
    • Roles, Privileges: In this how-to I'm focused on addressing the user identification and authentication issue. These other settings are related to another very relevant aspect of user management: Authorization, but this will be addressed in a different how-to, therefore we won't go into any detail here;
    • Relations: They allow you to define a centralized set of relationships between users (you can add more relationship types), and later on, use this information to implement some custom business login in your applications;
  5. Press the 'Save' button, a success feedback message should be displayed;

6. Click on the 'Change Password' link beneath the 'User - Melissa Gordon (mgordon)' page title;

Because you're using 'Internal Authentication' you need to set an initial password for this user.
    Enterprise Manager - Change Password
  7. Fill in the form (remember that 'New Password' and 'Confirm New Password' must match) and click on the 'Change Password' button;

8. And you're done! This user is ready to login in any applications that integrate with Enterprise Manager.

How can I delete a user from EnterpriseManager? (aside from going directly to the database table...)
Hi Milton,

you don't. You just have the option "Is Active?" that you can assign to false

RNA.
Hi Milton.

What's the use case you need to accomplish with that?

We chose to have an "enabled" flag, since that way you can keep track of previous users' activity.

If you really want to do so, well, you can try to use the delete action of the User entity, to delete the user from the database... Does that suit your need?

Regards,

Paulo Tavares
We have a few users on our development enterprise manager that are of no use anymore and, for a matter of "tidyness", we would like to delete them. We knew about the "Is Active" option but maybe there was some hidden delete button :)

We'll follow Paulo's suggestion!

Thanks!

How do I add a language to the advanced > languages section? 
thanx,
Martha
  • After a short while managing users in the Enterprise Manager, there are a couple of things I would like to see worked on to improve this experience.
  • When adding multiple users, I have to Save, go Back to User Accounts, click New User between making two users. On a list of forty users this is about 120 extra clicks. Having a link to create another New User directly in the screen of a single user would save a lot of clicks.
  • When creating a user, after filling in the users data, I can directly select and grant this user roles, before saving the user. This leads to an error when I save the user after granting roles.
  • In the Relations tab under a single user, there is no "Add" button. I have to apply a relation by pressing the "Save" button under the user data, which reloads the page, skipping back to the first tab "Roles". This creates extra clicks.
  • Searching through user accounts using the Privilege dropdown only works for directly applied Privileges. Privileges inherited through Roles don't get hit by this search, which makes it kind of useless when you only use Roles to manage Privileges.
  • More search options would be nice, like searching for all users with a specific Role, from a specific Company or Node, or all users coordinated by a specific user.
I am a noob  with this system but am very impressed.  My issue is that I want a system which I can add users via the front end so that I can build a SaaS based product.

This does not seem posible as all users must be setup in the Enterprise Manager.
Ben -

There is functionality built-in to create users programatically if need be. If you feel that Enterprise Manager does not meet your needs at all, you don't need it at all. My Rat Catcher application is designed on a SaaS model and does not use Enterprise Manager for user management. If I had started it on 5.1, I would have used Enterprise Manager, I ended up re-writing much of the same functionality from the ground up.

J.Ja
Is it possible to do this integration nowadays?
Joao -

Which integration do you mean?

J.Ja
I would like my developer users and the users of some application to login by Ldap integration. The enterprise manager doesn't exist anymore, right? How do I accomplish this nowadays?
Joao -

Use the Users eSpace in version 7+, it can be given LDAP access and pull users directly from it.

J.Ja