Hi,

I have a basic personal environment. I have only created a handful of apps which are all small and use only OOTB widgets. Can someone tell me or point me to a document that can explain why I have module updates in the bell notification on the top right of the Outsystems Development Studio and how to manage upgrades.

I notice that the modules from Outsystems (Outsystems UI, Outsystems UI Template Mobile, Outsystems UI web etc) require upgrading. 

When I click on the bell notifications and click upgrade, in Forge it tells me that the module can not be safely installed due to incompatibility issues (see below). This is a new personal environment I have no special config/code or changes. Why do I get the below errors on things that are OOTB by Outsystems?

In Dev Studio preferences auto update is on.

The area of upgrading and understanding dependencies between Outsystems supported modules is a concern to me. This area of the platform should just work without me having to worry about upgrades or dependencies particularly if I am just building (for now) simple apps that utilize everything out of the box (i.e. I have not built my own styles/templates, modules or integrations).

Can someone please point me to something or describe to me - once I develop an app how the upgrade/maintenance process works. For example - Interestingly the update history is almost monthly for some of these Outsystems modules. Is the update process something I need to manage manually? Do all of these Outsystems supported modules need to be constantly updated each month by me? Especially if I am using Outsystems OOTB functionality. If I build apps on older versions of modules and then update modules (based on Outsystems telling me to upgrade) can I go back to older Outsystems modules if something breaks.

Much appreciated.. Thank you.

Notifications:

Upgrade errors:

Hi Glenn,

Some of these applications have dependencies on others. That is what these message states.

Knowing which application depends on what other application, you should download updates in the following order:

1. OutSystems UI / OutSystems UI Web
  2. OutSystems Charts / OutSystems Charts Web
  3. OutSystems Sample Data
  4. OutSystems UI Templates Mobile / OutSystems UI Templates Reactive OutSystems UI Web Screen Templates
  5. OutSystems UI Reactive Style Guide /  OutSystems UI Web Style Guide
  6. OutSystems UI Web Style Guide Preview
  7. OutSystems Now

Regards,

Daniel

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Glenn,

Some of these applications have dependencies on others. That is what these message states.

Knowing which application depends on what other application, you should download updates in the following order:

1. OutSystems UI / OutSystems UI Web
  2. OutSystems Charts / OutSystems Charts Web
  3. OutSystems Sample Data
  4. OutSystems UI Templates Mobile / OutSystems UI Templates Reactive OutSystems UI Web Screen Templates
  5. OutSystems UI Reactive Style Guide /  OutSystems UI Web Style Guide
  6. OutSystems UI Web Style Guide Preview
  7. OutSystems Now

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Note sure I understand. No matter if I install the updates in the order defined above or in any order, the error message is "The application cannot be safely installed in your environment" and we are required to perform a Force Install.

The environment I have is pretty much new there are no complex components I have added or built. The components that need upgrading and have dependencies are all Outsystems components. These types of error messages or conflicts and reliance on dependencies together with very regular monthly updates have made me a little concerned.

I am ok with performing updates. But it would be good to have just one update that updates all the underlying Outsystems base components. For example should I install all or just a few of the updates? Should I be cautious about which ones I install and the impact they will have on my apps? If I should install all of them maybe Outsystems should just to the updates for me? For a managed low code environment in the cloud I am not sure why I should be engaging in understanding or seeing dependencies between the base OOTB components. Hope this makes sense.

Note I really enjoy the capabilities of the platform but I have now switched my attention from testing development and functionality of the platform (which looks amazing BTW) to now looking at how the platform is put together and how dependencies/upgrades and deployments etc will impact the maintenance of whatever we build.

I am looking for more information on how the underlying platform works/fits together. I have read the overview guides and the high level platform structure but I would like to see if there is documentation on how the development environment is designed and what actually happens when you update modules and how to safe guard around changes that impact your application.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
 Glenn

Hi Glenn,

It is not an error message. You can install the update in your environment.

The messages are not related to what you did develop yourself, they relate to the dependencies these components have to other OutSystems components.

"But it would be good to have just one update that updates all the underlying Outsystems base components. For example, should I install all or just a few of the updates? Should I be cautious about which ones I install and the impact they will have on my apps?"

The reason you get updates is twofold, bug fixes and new features. Either way, I would advise installing all updates.

If I should install all of them may be Outsystems should just to the updates for me? For a managed low code environment in the cloud, I am not sure why I should be engaging in understanding or seeing dependencies between the base OOTB components. Hope this makes sense.

I agree with you here, OutSystems could make life easier for us. You can post an idea on the www.outsystems.com/ideas, of people like it they will vote. I will!

If you are working in your Personal Environment, I would say always update. If an update is causing problems you can always publish the old version again.

If you are working in an enterprise environment, most likely you need some governance to ensure, that not just every developer starts downloading (updated) Forge components. In an enterprise infrastructure, you would want to have procedures in place, to check what are the bug fixes and new features of an updated (not only OutSystems) component as well as any breaking changes. You would then install them in the DEV environment, test and fix any breaking changes, deploy it tot TEST for regression testing, if that is ok to QA for user acceptance testing (if applicable) and only then to production.

"I am looking for more information on how the underlying platform works/fits together. I have read the overview guides and the high level platform structure but I would like to see if there is documentation on how the development environment is designed and what actually happens when you update modules and how to safe guard around changes that impact your application."

I am pretty sure OutSystems does not share how they designed the development environment as this is their intellectual property. But exactly the message you get proves they build in safeguard around changes that impact your application or not?

Regards,

Daniel