Import/ export applications across Environments

I am having trouble importing my application from one environment to another. Can anyone please assist?

Baden Pelston wrote:

I am having trouble importing my application from one environment to another. Can anyone please assist?

Hi Baden,

if your using personal environment and developed application and importing one environment to another environment it is not possible..because OOP install in same environment and you need to publish or open in another environment then you need to upload that file into the forge and then you download it and then it will work on another environment.

I hope i will help you!

thanks

What kind troubles? About IPP ?

Check out this solution post.

I hope help you.
Cheers,
Nuno

Yogesh Satpute wrote:

...you need to publish or open in another environment then you need to upload that file into the forge and then you download it and then it will work on another environment.

Hello Yogesh.

Forge should not be used to remove IPP from Applications.
In fact, from some time now, any applications sent to forge is validated to see if it is a valid application/plugin/component to be used by the community, or it is a simple IPP removal. 

In the second case, the action will not be allowed.

Personal Environments are not to be used to develop applications to be used in Production (or any other place besides the personal environment where they were created).

For that, you need to buy a licence for an Enterprise server.

I would like to have the possibility to have some kind of "community" edition, with more capabilities at a lower price, that we could install on our own server, but it seems this is not the market OutSystems is operating on.

Cheers.

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Personal Environments are not to be used to develop applications to be used in Production (or any other place besides the personal environment where they were created).

This is a nice statement but there are multiple occasions where I (would) have created a nice Proof of Concept on my personal environment that I later wanted to lift over to my enterprise environment. This is currently blocked. And to be honest, this is just dumb. I'm not trying to lift application from my enterprise environment to my personal environment (although that should also be possible but that's another story), I'm trying to so make more use of my enterprise environment and that is something that OutSystems should encourage. More applications = more usage equals = licenses or added hosting costs. 

And the solution isn't that hard to create I think. Just accept the ipp keys of my personal environment on my enterprise environment. This could be a configuration setting in Lifetime or something. 

note: the reason why I like to use my personal environment for PoCs is that I don't add more clutter to my already cluttered development environment.

Hi Vincent.

That's the point. You must do your proof of concept in your DEV environment, not in a personal.
If you are worried about cluttering the environment, it's always possible to buy another one for this and then you can move applications between environments.

The question is; if you are doing a PoC, for your company, this is a commercial use of the platform, and so it needs a proper licence.

Personal environments are for "personal" use.

But I agree that different "paid" licenses to allow for smaller companies to use the platform would be nice. I would like to leverage the use of the platform for my own use, and I can't.

This is a strategy matter, and OutSystems may have their reasons.

Cheers.

The PoC's I make on my PE are mostly "What if" and "Could it be done this way". And then if it works I would like to "copy" over my results without all the rebuilding. Yes they are for the company but in such a state that if it where a traditional C# application I also would have written this outside the regular code repositories. 

And I know of the limitations and the reasons behind them. I just don't agree with these cause they are hindering me and my company. And yes, I also told OutSystems this via other means as well ;). 

I'm not looking to use my PE for private applications. I use it to maintain my forge components and for my proof of concepts. In my view, exactly the reason why PE exist. 

Maintaining Forge Components is also a goal for PE. 

But not to do PoC or small tests (with the possibility of copy). I understand the frustration but allowing moving code from PE to Enterprise would create a big problem for OutSystems, as this would allow anyone to develop entire applications in PE's and move them to the client servers, bypassing the need to use a DEV environment, that has a cost... 

So, I doubt OutSystems will ever listen to any idea regarding this possibility.

But you can give other ideas, like for example, a better way to organize applications in an environment, for example, using "folders" This would allow you to have small "test" applications on your env, without "clutter" the Applications dashboard. I think there are a few ideas about that.

Cheers.