[BPT] Is there a way to clean up BPT Light processes?

Hi All,

Today I did some load testing with a scenario where a few BPT Light processes making a lot of webservice calls. As expected with a certain load, the bpt light processes started to fail (webservice call resulting in 503's) what is reflected in the logs and environment health:

I know that the BPTL events will retry with an increasing interval, but in this scenario (testing) I just want to clean up the errors and redo my test with a clean sheet.

Following Cláudio Oliveira's post I think I could clear the errors just editing/removing some data directly from the database, but I would only do such a thing as a last resort.

Any advice on this?

Regards,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Did you try to use the BPT Utils Forge component to clean up the BPT Light processes?

I know it works for normal BPT processes, but I’m not sure about BPT Light. I’ve never tried it myself.

Let us know if it works.

Regards,

Nordin

Nordin Ahdi wrote:

Hi Dennis,

Did you try to use the BPT Utils Forge component to clean up the BPT Light processes?

I know it works for normal BPT processes, but I’m not sure about BPT Light. I’ve never tried it myself.

Let us know if it works.

Regards,

Nordin

Hi Nordin,

I tried using that tool, but the process itself does not need to be terminated since it is not running (it's just waiting for the next run). Besides that you can't use the bulk terminate anyway because only running processes show up there.

In the ossys_BPM_Event table I have these records:

If I change the dequeue_time to 'now' the counter in environment health is set to 0, but the event table still shows these records (even tried to run the BPT_Cleanup timer) so this is not a good solution.

Solution

Hi Dennis,

If a BPTL process fails, it will be retried and retried and so on.

BPT Terminator is of no use here.

You have to make your BPT light process robust to handle this gracefully.

Few options you could implement, in the automatic activity of your BPTL

• Build in a max retry count functionality. After 3 retries, end the BPTL(no exception), without performing the action.
  • use a 'kill switch' a boolean site property, for normal processing always false. In the situation, you are facing now set the site property to true. In the BPTL process, the first check should be to exit if the site property is true. 

The first option avoids you having BPTL process retrying until god knows when.

The second option can cancel them if you are already in the situation you have. So, for now, build in the kill switch and deploy. Then will kill'em.

Regards,

Daniel

Solution

Dennis de Jager wrote:

Hi Nordin,

I tried using that tool, but the process itself does not need to be terminated since it is not running (it's just waiting for the next run). Besides that you can't use the bulk terminate anyway because only running processes show up there.

In the ossys_BPM_Event table I have these records:

If I change the dequeue_time to 'now' the counter in environment health is set to 0, but the event table still shows these records (even tried to run the BPT_Cleanup timer) so this is not a good solution.

Hi Dennis,

Your problem is clear to me now. The title of the post was a bit misleading, which set me on the wrong foot.

I think Daniël’s suggestions are good ways of building some sort of a mechanism that gives your BPT Light process an “out” from the endless retries.

Regards,

Nordin

Hi

By implementing the killswitch and change the next run into 'right now'  in the db (otherwise the next run would be tomorrow) I managed to get rid of all errors swiftly.

Good and sound advice to add some retry functionality, too bad I didn't do that right away because I realized the need of this before I even started;)

Thank you!

We all have been there, we keep on learning.