[GoogleCloudVisionOCR] I get a Google.Apis.Requests.RequestError API key expired

Forge Component
(6)
Published on 2019-04-04 by Aurelio Junior
6 votes
Published on 2019-04-04 by Aurelio Junior

Hi, I'm trying to use your OCR Demo on my own personal environment but I keep getting this error when I try to process an image. What do I do? I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to APIs so I am at a dead end here.

Hy Reynald,

You need to genereate your own API Key is free:

https://developers.google.com/places/web-service/get-api-key

Then if you want to try to use the demo you need to put your key in all the places in the code where the App is calling the extencion (I belive that is in 3 places) and the code is hard coded in all the calls.

Good luck!

Nuno Oliveira wrote:

Hy Reynald,

You need to genereate your own API Key is free:

https://developers.google.com/places/web-service/get-api-key

Then if you want to try to use the demo you need to put your key in all the places in the code where the App is calling the extencion (I belive that is in 3 places) and the code is hard coded in all the calls.

Good luck!

Hi Nuno,

Thank you for responding. I tried what you have suggested and I was able to generate an API key but unfortunately I don't think it is free for me to use it. I tried to use it but got this error message, asking me to enable billing which I assume requires me to pay for it.

Reynald, you need to set your banking information that's true, but you only pay if you consume a lot (some thousands of requests I think). You see there all the information.

So to play you are pretty all right (you save the key for you and control all the requests that you do). After you are done you can deactivate the key.

I tried and is really powerful he reads all the text in image independent of the orientation of the text. Because is Google they need to get the information in their servers, so if you are planning to read confidential info, is not good. If is to read text for other kind of project is like magic.

Imagine you drag and drop an Image and you get the text. 

Cheers, enjoy

Hi Reynald,

Nuno is right, you only have to pay if you go over a certain threshold. More details here. You do have to enable billing for your Google project with a valid payment method, though. The API will only work after you have done that, but you will only get charged if you exceed the specified thresholds.