How to allow an end-user to modify a title?

Dear community! 

Does anyone have an idea how I can allow end-users to modify the title of something, let's say a document in OS?

Basically I would like to use the Pencil icon to be able to change the name of the "Questionnaire". Yet the title should still be a link that will redirect me to the right page. 

If my question is not clear, let me know!

If there are any previous posts that can assist me on this, I have not been able to find them. So, let me know :) 

Much appreciated!

Hello Boyan.

If you have the title in a variable, you can use that variable as a title on page settings. But this seems too simple. Is that what you meant?

Maybe you could try creating a popup that opens when you click the pencil icon, and in the popup allow the user to change the title using an input field and a save button? Or did I misunderstand your question?

Nuno Reis wrote:

Hello Boyan.

If you have the title in a variable, you can use that variable as a title on page settings. But this seems too simple. Is that what you meant?

Hi Nuno

Thanks for your reply! I don't think this is where I am after, but please correct me if I am wrong.

I am looking for a functionality that allows an end-user to modify the title of the Questionnaire, in this case, by pressing the Pencil Icon to modify. I am thinking something along the lines of a pop-up would work that allows the name to be changed but that seems quite the work around.

Do you understand where I am after?

Thanks :) 


Bas de Vries wrote:

Maybe you could try creating a popup that opens when you click the pencil icon, and in the popup allow the user to change the title using an input field and a save button? Or did I misunderstand your question?

Hi Bas,

Good one, was thinking of doing something like that. It seems quite the workaround for something so "easy". 

Thanks for the input!


Hi!

Why did you let the user edit the title on the Detail page? You can add an Input on the form to do that.

Just an idea.

Hi Boyan,

Don't take this wrong, but do you have any prior experience developing software at all? If something is displayed on the screen, I take it comes from the database, so changing that element means a) allow the user to edit it and b) store it back into the database. That involves programming. OutSystems is not a no-code tool, it's a low-code tool. You still need code.

Solution

No need to open another window.

The pencil can turn the link into an input field + button and on save you go back to read-only format.

A simple boolean variable makes all the difference.

Solution

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Boyan,

Don't take this wrong, but do you have any prior experience developing software at all? If something is displayed on the screen, I take it comes from the database, so changing that element means a) allow the user to edit it and b) store it back into the database. That involves programming. OutSystems is not a no-code tool, it's a low-code tool. You still need code.


Hi Killian,

Although I have no extensive prior experience, I do very well understand this. That being said, I am looking for a way to do this efficiently. May I ask what the contribution of your comment is to my post? I fail to get the point you're trying to make :) 

Nuno Reis wrote:

No need to open another window.

The pencil can turn the link into an input field + button and on save you go back to read-only format.

A simple boolean variable makes all the difference.

Seems a plausible solution! I will try and work on this, much appreciated! 


Boyan Algra wrote:

Although I have no extensive prior experience, I do very well understand this. That being said, I am looking for a way to do this efficiently. May I ask what the contribution of your comment is to my post? I fail to get the point you're trying to make :) 

It seemed to me such a basic question, I thought you might've had expected there to be an out-of-the-box way to have users edit fields in OutSystems. If your question was more of a "what's the best way to go about this", that wasn't clear to me from the way you asked.