[Social Sharing Plugin] Apple Store non-compliance

Forge Component
(2)
Published on 29 May (3 days ago) by Experts
2 votes
Published on 29 May (3 days ago) by Experts

Hi Everyone,

When publishing to App Store an app we built using the Social Sharing plugin, we received the following rejection message:

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - New apps that use UIWebView are no longer accepted. Instead, use WKWebView for improved security and reliability. Learn more (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview).

We then opened an OutSystems support ticket and received an answer stating the Social Sharing plugin is known to contain references to UIWebView, which is no longer accepted by Apple Store.

Upon inspecting the plugin's Github page, we found the following issue, which seems to be solved since Sept 5, 2019:

https://github.com/EddyVerbruggen/SocialSharing-PhoneGap-Plugin/issues/1052

Do you know what might be causing this problem? Is there a workaround? By the way, we are running platform version 10.

Thanks,

Rui

Hello Rui,

Basically, since 30th April, Apple is no longer accepting mobile applications for revision with references for the UIWebView API and they should use WKWebView API instead.

It you have that message when you're trying to submit it to the app store, it's because at least one of your plugins (not necessarily Social Sharing Plugin) has this reference and it is non-compliant.

I had this same situation with one application last week. Turns out that I was also using Social Sharing Plugin in my application and the problem was in another plugin. Strange fact is that we opened an OutSystems support ticket as well and they also stated that this plugin was non-compliant. But we didn't find any reference to UIWebView API in the plugin's source code and we submited the app with it without any problems (after the upgrade of the other plugin).

So, I really believe that this plugin is not the reason that your application is beeing rejected.

My advice is that you take a look at this post, in which I describe what you should do to check if a plugin is compliant or not.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas