Hi all,

Being in conversation with some of our colleagues at OutSystems, I decided to follow their advice to ask directly in the community if anyone has done something like this:

  • An operator (doctor) has a backoffice application (reactive) and needs to call users (patients) - mobile application. A whatsapp type mechanism.

In that even though the application is closed, it wakes up the application and starts ringing, the person answers, and initiates the call.


I am currently working on an application to monitor patients with Covid-19.


  • I was trying to see if I could get it via OneSignal, but the component would have to support VoIP (to wake up iOS devices), and High priority notifications (to wake up Android devices)
  • I am also working with Vonage, where I can establish the video call, but not the process I describe above.


Any help, advice, is welcome.


Thanks in advance.

Miguel

Miguel Verdasca wrote:

Hi all,

Being in conversation with some of our colleagues at OutSystems, I decided to follow their advice to ask directly in the community if anyone has done something like this:

  • An operator (doctor) has a backoffice application (reactive) and needs to call users (patients) - mobile application. A whatsapp type mechanism.

In that even though the application is closed, it wakes up the application and starts ringing, the person answers, and initiates the call.


I am currently working on an application to monitor patients with Covid-19.


  • I was trying to see if I could get it via OneSignal, but the component would have to support VoIP (to wake up iOS devices), and High priority notifications (to wake up Android devices)
  • I am also working with Vonage, where I can establish the video call, but not the process I describe above.


Any help, advice, is welcome.


Thanks in advance.

Miguel

Hi Miguel, check these links, I think can give you some initial idea

https://faq.whatsapp.com/pt_pt/iphone/23559013

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/28000012

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29516628/how-to-open-whatsapp-from-other-app

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38655458/android-make-whatsapp-call

I just did a test with the first link using a msg and it works, open the Whatsapp, populate the msg and you just need to click send.

I know that isn't what you need but there is a way to start the search

Here is a sample, just open on mobile and test the msg

Best regards

Carlos Lessa


Hi Carlos,

Can you put your sample in anonymous?

Thanks in advance

Miguel Verdasca wrote:

Hi Carlos,

Can you put your sample in anonymous?

Thanks in advance

Sorry I forget about that, try now



Here is the oml if you need to check

Good luck with that

Miguel and Carlos, if this works, you two could write a How-To to share with the community.

I think this is the type of functionality than can have potential for several applications but most users can't get there by themselves without a lot of headaches.

Thanks Carlos, for sharing.

However what I wanted was for the application itself to wake itself up, and not to launch an event for WhatsApp, because there may be people without WhatsApp. The aim is that when a doctor needs to contact a patient for a video call, the App will wake up and launch an event as if it were playing.


If someone in the community has already done something similar, can you share?

Nuno Reis wrote:

Miguel and Carlos, if this works, you two could write a How-To to share with the community.

I think this is the type of functionality than can have potential for several applications but most users can't get there by themselves without a lot of headaches.

Hi Nuno would be good to start to write an article and share the experience but I didn't get the functionality you think is good to share, it is the one to open an app from another application or the possibility to open the Whatsapp with the msg ready to send or the even send it automatically?


Miguel Verdasca wrote:

Thanks Carlos, for sharing.

However what I wanted was for the application itself to wake itself up, and not to launch an event for WhatsApp, because there may be people without WhatsApp. The aim is that when a doctor needs to contact a patient for a video call, the App will wake up and launch an event as if it were playing.


If someone in the community has already done something similar, can you share?

Hi Miguel so if I understand well what you need is to wake up the same app on the device of the doctor's client, is that correct?

I tried not long ago a functionality to wake up the app when I send a push notification with the onePlugin but I didn't invest a lot of time to manage to achieve this but in my case what did was to use the push to run a sync process and get the most recent data to the app and just work if the app was running in the background.

If you find a way to wake up the app let me know cuz would be good really good to know how to do that