Hi all, 

We need to access a PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS. The database connection parameters are stored on a secret and its values must be retrieved from AWS Secrets Manager. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

Hi Paulo,

I haven't tried that but I am afraid PostgreSQL is not supported. Only AWS RDS supported are SQL Server and Oracle. Here are the complete details: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Setting_Up_OutSystems/OutSystems_system_requirements#Database_Management_System

Hi Paulo,

If Akshay assumes, you want to use PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS as your OutSystems platform database, then that is as Akshay stated not possible.

If you want to can connect to an external database from within OutSystems, then you can create a connection with MS SQL Server, Oracle, IBM DB/2, or MySQL database.

If you PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS you should leverage the API's that AWS provides. There are no Forge components (yet) that allow you to integrate with PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS or AWS Secrets Manager, so there is an opportunity to create your first 2 Forge components.

Regards,

Daniel

Akshay Puri wrote:

Hi Paulo,

I haven't tried that but I am afraid PostgreSQL is not supported. Only AWS RDS supported are SQL Server and Oracle. Here are the complete details: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Setting_Up_OutSystems/OutSystems_system_requirements#Database_Management_System

Hi Askhay, thanks very much for the response. I forgot to mention it will be used as an external database.

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Paulo,

If Akshay assumes, you want to use PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS as your OutSystems platform database, then that is as Akshay stated not possible.

If you want to can connect to an external database from within OutSystems, then you can create a connection with MS SQL Server, Oracle, IBM DB/2, or MySQL database.

If you PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS you should leverage the API's that AWS provides. There are no Forge components (yet) that allow you to integrate with PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS or AWS Secrets Manager, so there is an opportunity to create your first 2 Forge components.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel thanks for the response.

I already was able to access a postgresSQL external database using The PostgreSQL Database Connector (by ardoRic), the challenge, since the credentials to the database will change periodically due to the secrets rotation, is to be able to connect to the  AWS Secrets Manager, retrieve the secrets information and change the connection URL with the new information at runtime.

Hi Paulo,

Sounds like you are on track. Investigate time in understanding how to use the AWS secret manager API, maybe even can make a Forge component for it?

Regards,

Daniel