What are Output Parameters & how they are used with respect to Actions?

Hi, 

I am new to Outsystems & programming. I am doing the Reactive Web Developer course & the term Output Parameters is used multiple times in the Logic(Actions) sub-course. 

I am unable to understand this concept after doing Google search as well. 

Please help me in understanding what Output Parameters are & why are they needed/used?

Hello Jon.

Output parameters can be used like any variable, but their value will be sent back to the screen/action that called the action. It is useful to share information.

They are mandatory in functions because all functions must return something.

Jon S wrote:

Hi, 

I am new to Outsystems & programming. I am doing the Reactive Web Developer course & the term Output Parameters is used multiple times in the Logic(Actions) sub-course. 

I am unable to understand this concept after doing Google search as well. 

Please help me in understanding what Output Parameters are & why are they needed/used?

Hi Jon, check the pic bellow.

You have an action the has an input parameter and an Output Parameter.

The output parameter is used to return a value, for example here in the pic is passing a source as input parameter, this input parameter is used to create a record in a table Sample_office, after the creation I have an assign where I'm getting the Output parameter of the action CreateOrUpdateSample_Office that is an ID and I'm assigning this value to the output parameter of the server action

The output parameter will change with your logic, could be an error message and a boolean to say if is success or error

Hope I could give you some help

Best regards

Carlos Lessa