Getting User Id by SessionId (From REST API)
Question

Hi. Is there is a way to get the user id based on the ASP.Net Session Id?

The reason for this question is this:

I have a web application that will use the platform's session model. On some web screens, I would like to make a manual XHR call to a REST API endpoint from the same eSpace. I do not intend to use screen actions. However, doing so means I will not be able to get the user id from my REST API. But I know that I can still get the session id by getting the ASP.Net_SessionId cookie. If I'm not wrong, this session id should help determine if the user has already logged into the application.

So basically, I want to leverage on this session Id instead of having to implement my own token authorization for my REST API endpoints.

I am open to other suggestions of how to get user id from the REST call.

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hi Enriel,

This is a very interesting question, and I spent some time writing a long winded post about sessions and the inner data model OutSystems uses to keep track of session data. I was pretty sure it wasn't possible, so I tried to think of ways to keep track of the relationship between session id and User id since I believe it's no longer explicitly exposed by the platform.

Then I looked into the PlatformRuntime_API extension and there's an action that does all of that...

I tested it out and Session_GetWebAppLoginInfo returns a UserId if you access a REST method from a screen while logged in, which sounds like what you need. I can't find any documentation on it so I'm not absolutely sure it will work in your manual XHR scenario.

Afonso Carvalho wrote:

Hi Enriel,

This is a very interesting question, and I spent some time writing a long winded post about sessions and the inner data model OutSystems uses to keep track of session data. I was pretty sure it wasn't possible, so I tried to think of ways to keep track of the relationship between session id and User id since I believe it's no longer explicitly exposed by the platform.

Then I looked into the PlatformRuntime_API extension and there's an action that does all of that...

I tested it out and Session_GetWebAppLoginInfo returns a UserId if you access a REST method from a screen while logged in, which sounds like what you need. I can't find any documentation on it so I'm not absolutely sure it will work in your manual XHR scenario.

Hi Afonso,

Yes this is exactly what I needed! I have tested this with my current implementation and it works. Many thanks!

Out of curiosity, is there a way to access the session variables by the user id or session id?

mvp_badge
MVP

No problem Enriel. Glad to know you got it sorted out!

Reading your question, I might still get some use of what I wrote before finding the right API. This is a good primer on the way OutSystems internally manages session data, but it was written in 2015 and I believe some things are no longer up to date.

From what I gather, there's no API to do this. Session data can be managed programatically, but there appears to be no way to select arbitrary session data from a specific user. Going by that thread, there's some interesting tables like ASPSTATETEMPSESSIONS:

But again, no clear way to link this to an actual User id. Going by a few old threads, it appears possible to gleam actual session variables from ASPSTATETEMPSESSIONSEXTVARS, but I can't make sense of the data. I suspect it's suffered some changes since 2015 and it's no longer that simple. Here's a query example if you're curious and want to look into it:

Afonso Carvalho wrote:

No problem Enriel. Glad to know you got it sorted out!

Reading your question, I might still get some use of what I wrote before finding the right API. This is a good primer on the way OutSystems internally manages session data, but it was written in 2015 and I believe some things are no longer up to date.

From what I gather, there's no API to do this. Session data can be managed programatically, but there appears to be no way to select arbitrary session data from a specific user. Going by that thread, there's some interesting tables like ASPSTATETEMPSESSIONS:

But again, no clear way to link this to an actual User id. Going by a few old threads, it appears possible to gleam actual session variables from ASPSTATETEMPSESSIONSEXTVARS, but I can't make sense of the data. I suspect it's suffered some changes since 2015 and it's no longer that simple. Here's a query example if you're curious and want to look into it:

That would be useful. Thanks for the info.

Hi,

I am trying to use call "Session_GetWebAppLoginInfo" from both REST method (I am intend to use it for REST authentication) and a client action (via a screen). But always get a "0" value back under userid output param. I have logged in to application.

May I know what could be wrong? 

Appreciate if anyone could share a working oml so I can compare it to see what I have done wrong.

I have tested in both Platform 11.9.1 (on-prem) and 11.13.0 (personal environment). Both have same result too.

Thanks.
Regards,
Soon

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.