Multiple roles in a User Story

Hello Everyone, 

I have a question related to the creation of user roles during the Requirements stage. I am sure we are all aware of the general template i.e.  as a (role) ... I want to.. so that I. 

What do you do when you have an particular feature that may be used by multiple role BUT not all of them. This means I would not be able to simply use "User". 

Please review an example of 3 roles below.

Role:

Customer

Dealership Employee

Dealership Manager

Both the Dealership Employee and Dealership Manager has access to view Report A but Customer does not.

I know it is not good practice to have the follow.

As as Dealership Employee or a Dealership Manager

I would like to view Report A

So I may have an analyze of the Dealership's projections

I understand it would be best to separate roles in user stories due to isolation but my thing is... I notice I am starting to have a LOT user stories for the same features. Since I cannot use the  "User" role in these cases,is it best to just separate them into their own user stories OR is there another methodology in these types of situations.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Hello Otis.

This is not an OutSystems specific issue, but here goes.

It is common for roles inside an organization to have similar stories. In fact, you can have duplicate stories.

If your problem is on the name, just create a new Role to use on the stories. That way you will have a single story.

Solution

Hi Otis,

Not really a question for the OutSystems forum, but I would put them in one user story and mention the relevant roles. 

If you break it up in separate user stories on the first one you develop, you have most of the work done. On others you basically only add additional coditions to your logic to have it work for more than one role, which in OutSystems is berry little effort to implement.

So I would phrase it like this:

As as Dealership Employee or a Dealership Manager

I would like to view Report A

So I may have an analyze of the Dealership's projections

Regards,

Daniel

Solution

Thanks Guys!!! Very helpful