Best way to do load balancing front end servers – Amazon Hosting

Best way to do load balancing front end servers – Amazon Hosting

Hello

I am utilizing an Amazon Hosting server for my espace.  It is working great.  I was wondering if you can clarify/help me understand how I can utilize load balancing with my espace.  Amazon has the available to add more instances and allow load balancing.  But I have noticed that Servicecenter has a section for front end servers.  So I am wondering about what is the best way to set up load balancing.  Is it done through servicecenter or the addition of more Amazon instances.

Note: my Amazon server is currently all in one server.  Meaning the SQL server and espace is all on the same server.. So I don’t know if I have to separate the 2 into 2 separate instances in order to do load balancing.

Thanks in advance for your help with this

Dan
Hi Dan,

You currently have a single-node architecture on your server where in the same server you have an OutSystems Front-EndOutSystems Deployment Controller and SQL Server Database running. What you have to do to add a new OutSystems Front-End node to your OutSystems Farm is simply install the OutSystems Agile Platform in your new server and configure it to work as an OutSystems Front-End. When configured, this Front-End will automatically register itself in the OutSystems Deployment Controller and access the existing SQL Server Database.

From a high level, what you have to do to add new node in your OutSystems farm is the following:
  1. Provision a new server node in Amazon;
  2. Install the OutSystems Agile Platform in this new node (the same version same version and revision - eg. 5.0.2.14 - that you have installed in the existing server);
  3. Configure this new OutSystems node so that it "registers" itself in the OutSystems farm as a Front-End server:
    • Do not worry about the database, this OutSystems node can access the database even if it is installed in the previously existing Front-End;
    • This step will automatically deploy all OutSystems applications to this new node - after this step, the server is able to process OutSystems requests;
  4. Configure the Amazon load balancer in order to also direct requests to the new node.
To get the detailed information on steps 2 and 4, you can read the Platform Server 5.0 - .NET Install Checklist document and configure the document as shown in the picture below.

Finally, i would just like to tell you that we are missing details in the step "In Configuration Tool, import the configuration file" of the OutSystems Platform Server Installation Check list section (we are already improving our check-list on this detailed). In this step, what you have to do is the following:
  1. Backup the configuration file by going to the existing OutSystems Controller server node, opening the OutSystems Configuration Tool and choosing File > Save;
  2. In the new Front-End server, import the configuration file by opening the OutSystems Configuration Tool and choosing File > Import. After that, exit the Configuration Tool by clicking OK.

Best Regards,

Daniel Lourenço
OutSystems
Hi Dan,

I would like to tell you that I have just published the HOWTO configure load balancing in the Amazon Cloud.

Regards,

Daniel Lourenço
OutSystems
@Daniel Are there any specific software/Outsystems license requirements needed to setup load balancing? (it does not say)
You are right, Robert. In order to have more that one OutSystems Front-End, you have to have the OutSystems Professional Edition or above.

You can see all the details at http://www.outsystems.com/agile-platform-editions .

Regards,

Daniel Lourenço
OutSystems