Views
Comments
can I access the server location where my application is published or install?
Question

Hi,

can I access the server location where my application is published or install?

I have to upload the file on the physical server & see & download.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello Shrikrishna

I don't know if it is possible to save files in the file system of a personal environment, but even if it is possible, the Personal Environment would have very little space.

You can save files to database, and create a page to allow the user to download it. If it's an image, it is also possible to show the image from database in a screen.

Anyway, Personal Environments are very limited in terms of resources. You have only 2GB database space sared between data and code.

So, your best bet would be to save your files in a file repository (like google drive, onedrive, dropbox, etc.), and use one of the forge connectors to be able to save and retrieve the files when needed.

Cheers! 

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Shrikrishna,

If you are on OutSystems public cloud all the information you need about accessing the application server and the rest of the platforms underlying infrastructure can be found here. You would need to request access with OutSystems since they are responsible for managing your entire infrastructure.

If you have an On-Premises infrastructure you already have access to the application servers by default (if granted with server admin permissions) since all the servers are managed by yourself (your organization) and not by OutSystems in this case.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Nordin

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Shrikrishna Kasture,

If your goal is simply to be able to store files on the server's filesystem, you can use the FileSystem forge component for that. This component allows you to navigate directories, read and write files of the server at will.

Be aware that in a enterprise environment, most likely there will be multiple front-end servers running your application (so it can better scale), and if you don't setup a Shared Folder that all front-end servers can access, you end up with your files only stored in one of them. This can be problematic because we never know which front-end will handle a request (it's not defined anywhere).

This being said, if you can better explain why you need local server access we may be able to provide you with better answers.

Hope this helps!

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi, 

I would say for you to not use this approach. Even more if your environment is in the cloud. 

If you are on premises and need to store documents, you could use a document management system, or a service (amazon, Dropbox, etc). If you need to keep the documents in your own servers, follow the suggestion about creating a shared folder in your network and use Filesystem to manage the files there, or use any document management server of your choice. 

Cheers. 

mvp_badge
MVP

P. S. If the size of the files are not too big, and ypu have plenty of space in database, you can create entities and store the files there, but usually, storing on a DMS is better.