Edit an Edit Record with Ajax!

Edit an Edit Record with Ajax!

Some days ago I wanted to edit an edit record with ajax and I found out that something did not work as I expected, so I asked my junior colleague to develop this small eSpace as a sample. It contains two screens which are exactly the same with a small difference, where at the top there's an edit record and under it a table records. We can create, edit and delete some data. It's a simple and standard screen.

The difference between these two screens is in the edit action which uses ajax. The first screen affects the query result to the edit record directly and it works. The second one, assigns it to a record variable which will fill the source record of the edit record, that is, the standard way of editing an edit record. It doens't work!

Can anybody explain me why? Is it an error? Or the expected behaviour?

Hi Tiago,

Your Junior hasn't set the source record in your Screen 1.

Besides that, in the "Editar" of Screen 1 you set ER_Empregado.record.
That's unneeded if you set the sourcerecord directly to the GetEmpregado.

I didn't test it; but I guess that should work.
Hi Eric,

You should have tested. Because Screen 1 works and Screen 2 doesn't! ;) If you click the "editar" (edit) button, it works in Screen1 and it doesn't in Screen2.

This is what I want, that is, someone who can explain me this behaviour.

Hmm ok; now with testing; the screen record doesn't seem to get updated.
(I guess it's best to report this to support as a bug for it seems to be one)

In the first screen you're actually updating the screen record directly.
In the second screen you're using a local array to do this.

The binding of the local array with the screenrecord seems to fail somehow (not sure why).

As a workaround you can either: 
- Use this Assign in the Editar Screenaction (instead of the existing one):
ER_Empregado.Record = GetEmpregado.List.Current

- Change the input variable of the Editscreen:
Empregado_Nome to rlEmpregados.Current.Empregado.Nome instead of ER_Empregado.Record.Empregado.Nome
Empregado_CodEmpregado to rEmpregado.Empregado.CodEmpregado instead of ER_Empregado.Record.Empregado.CodEmpregad

Hi Tiago,

I noticed you are ending your Ajax actions with a "goto screen" node instead of an "End" node.
This means that your actions are not doing a post-back (maintaining the status of the screen) but a full reload of your screen.

Could this be the reason? (see the screenshot below).

If not, can you clearly describe what you mean by "working" and "not working"? Which is the mis-behavior that you are experiencing?

Kind Regards,

Daniel Lourenço

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your answer.

If you read carefully what I've wrote, you will understand like Eric did, that the problem is in the edit action (editar), not in the save action (guardar). I didn't mention it. Not all the actions end with a navigation screen. The edit action uses ajax and finishes with an end.

If you test Screen1 and Screen2, by editing some data, you will understand the problem, if it is a problem or error or something that I'm curious to understand.

Thanks again.
Hi Tiago,

Thank you for the extra-information.

The EditRecord widget does not execute a "rebind" to the Source Record in Post-Backs. In fact, the EditRecord.Record variable is a copy of the Source Record specified, and this copy is only done when the screen loads.

This is the expected (and desirable) behavior because this way you are sure that all the information input by the user in the Edit Record fields is never lost. If you want to change the information displayed int the EditRecord after a post-back, all you have to do is affect the EditRecord.Record variable directly (as you did in the second screen).

I hope this information helps.

Kind Regards,

Daniel Lourenço

just adding a word on what Daniel just said, you can always do a debug adding the Editrecord to watches and do a break point in the screen to see the values that the EditRecord.Record is having at the moment.

So to fix your problem in the assign node at Editar function just Assign to EditRecord.Record the rEmpregado value. 

Seems to me this information supplied by Daniel Lourenço is very important.

Tried to find it on the outsystems help but with no results.
I really think this should be mentioned, perhaps as an Important Note, may be here:

Thank you for your feedback, Tiago! I'll forward to our documentation team for their analysis.

Kind Regards,

Daniel Lourenço