Views
Comments
Solved
Open IOS Native Text Message APP
Question

Hi,

Is there any way as simple as Link to URL: "tel:" + <PhoneNumber> to open the IOS Text Message APP and start creating a message with the destination phone number allready inserted?

Thanks

Solution

Hello Nicholas,

Hope you're doing good.

According to this W3C Recommendation, you can use the following format:

However for iOS I think that's not possible to specify the content of the message, you can only specify the target phone number, which I believe that is exactly what you pretend.

According to Apple's documentation, the format for URLs of this type is "sms:<phone>", where <phone> is an optional parameter that specifies the target phone number of the SMS message.

You can check Apple's documentation in here:
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/featuredarticles/iPhoneURLScheme_Reference/SMSLinks/SMSLinks.html 

Hope that this helps you.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Hi Nicholas,

can you give us more detail about your issue?

Cheers

Hi Miguel,

Sorry, i will try to explain better.

Today, if i have a Phone Icon, i can link it to a URL and it will ask the Client if he wants to make a phone call to a given number:

If i try it with e-mail, it also works fine, the app opens the Clients Email App and starts a new mail with the destination mail address allready filled in:

Like the examples above, i would like to have a Text Message Icon that would open the IOS message APP, start a new message and fill in the destanation number.

If this wasn´t clear, i could PM you and explain better.

Thanks.

Solution

Hello Nicholas,

Hope you're doing good.

According to this W3C Recommendation, you can use the following format:

However for iOS I think that's not possible to specify the content of the message, you can only specify the target phone number, which I believe that is exactly what you pretend.

According to Apple's documentation, the format for URLs of this type is "sms:<phone>", where <phone> is an optional parameter that specifies the target phone number of the SMS message.

You can check Apple's documentation in here:
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/featuredarticles/iPhoneURLScheme_Reference/SMSLinks/SMSLinks.html 

Hope that this helps you.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

You're most welcome Nicholas :)

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas