What really is "Expose process events"

Could any kind soul help me understand what is the "Expose Process Events" checkbox in the Advanced options of an entity? What does it really do? Been trying to read about it, but not getting it...

Thanks in advance

Hi Pedro,

Outsystems has a BPT (Business Process Technology) component that allows you to define workflows to assist in business processes. These processes can be automatically initiated based on an event.

The 'Expose Process Events' option that you see for an Entity allows BPT to use an action on that Entity to start an instance of a process. The action in this case is 'create record'.

Ticking the box effectively means that Outsystems will include that Entity in a list so you can pick what starts a new workflow process.

If you go to the Processes tab and create a Process, you're looking for that Entity in the 'Launch On' property.

Thanks,

David

Hi 

The official document is very helpful

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Developing_an_Application/Use_Processes_(BPT)/Use_Process_Entities 

Using a Process Entity

Use the Process Entities to obtain process runtime information to use in your application logic, such as, to check whether the process is suspended or to use the process identifier attribute of the process entity to terminate a process execution.

David Epps wrote:

Hi Pedro,

Outsystems has a BPT (Business Process Technology) component that allows you to define workflows to assist in business processes. These processes can be automatically initiated based on an event.

The 'Expose Process Events' option that you see for an Entity allows BPT to use an action on that Entity to start an instance of a process. The action in this case is 'create record'.

Ticking the box effectively means that Outsystems will include that Entity in a list so you can pick what starts a new workflow process.

If you go to the Processes tab and create a Process, you're looking for that Entity in the 'Launch On' property.

Thanks,

David

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply. That was somewhat my understanding, but then I tested with 2 different entities one with the "Expose Process Events" option checked and the other without. But both show up when looking on the "Launch On" property. Is this property only relevant for consumer modules of my entities? I tested in the same module where the entities are defined.

Thanks

Tom Zhao wrote:

Hi 

The official document is very helpful

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Developing_an_Application/Use_Processes_(BPT)/Use_Process_Entities 

Using a Process Entity

Use the Process Entities to obtain process runtime information to use in your application logic, such as, to check whether the process is suspended or to use the process identifier attribute of the process entity to terminate a process execution.

Thanks for the reply Tom. I have actually read this but it is somewhat cryptic to me. While reading this, it seems to be refering to something different from what David mentions in his comment. Being a process entity one thing and the checkbox found on every entity for "Expose Process Events" another thing.

Hi Pedro,

For me, in v11, only Entities that are marked with 'Expose Process Events' are shown in the Entities list in the 'Launch On' property. Entities that are in the same module don't appear in the list unless the flag is On. I have Entities from consumed modules, some with the flag on and some without, but only those with the flag on appear in the Launch On list.

This doesn't really explain why you're seeing what you are.

Thanks,

David