Views
Comments
Solved
Users automatically becoming deactivated

Hi all,

The environment I'm supporting is configured for Active Directory authentication. We don't typically mess with user configurations using the Users application, since we're using the AD Import forge component to automatically configure the necessary group associations for our users. Everything in general has been working great, except on two separate occasions now in the very recent past we've had users mysteriously have their accounts deactivated. Since the Users application is used so infrequently in this environment, and the number of people supporting the environment is relatively small, it seems probable to me that these accounts were deactivated as a result of some automated process.

I acknowledge the fact that this might be an operation that is being performed by AD Import, and will be posting a question a question there as well, but is anyone aware of any automated processes native to OutSystems which may be deactivating these accounts?

Thanks,
Kirk

Solution

I opened an OutSystems support case, in which they said:

"...there is nothing in the Platform itself that automatically disables the users. What can be happening is either something in your application code or in the ADImport forge component that is disabling the users. As this is a non-supported component since it was not developed by OutSystems, we have no tools at this point to assist you as we do not know how this component is developed. The only way to get assistance is by contacting the Developer, that you already told us that you did."

Understandably, the case was closed. I encourage anyone facing a similar issue to check my Forge Discussion post for the ADImport forge component itself (however, at the time of this writing I have yet to receive a reply there).

Hi Kirk,

In the default AD authentication logic, the users are created (if they not exist) or updated every time they login in the system.

This means that if the User is not active in AD, when it tries to log in, it may be inactivated.

Did you check in AD side if these users that were inactivated in OutSystems Users App were activated?

In both cases, on the AD side the users are active, and there's no evidence that those users were ever inactive in AD.

I guess it's possible there was a network error or something resulting in a failure to reach AD, how could we confirm that this would result in deactivating the account?

Solution

I opened an OutSystems support case, in which they said:

"...there is nothing in the Platform itself that automatically disables the users. What can be happening is either something in your application code or in the ADImport forge component that is disabling the users. As this is a non-supported component since it was not developed by OutSystems, we have no tools at this point to assist you as we do not know how this component is developed. The only way to get assistance is by contacting the Developer, that you already told us that you did."

Understandably, the case was closed. I encourage anyone facing a similar issue to check my Forge Discussion post for the ADImport forge component itself (however, at the time of this writing I have yet to receive a reply there).