Connecting to external server


Hi

First, can I even connect to an external server if I have a personal account on Outsystem?

I have a AWS and in it I setup a MS SQL database, can I use it as a host for my app to exceed the 2gb limit?

If the answer above is yes, how to connect?

Is the add new database option do that for me?


thanks

Solution

Hi,

You create a db connection in service center first and test if the connection is successful. Then Open your Integration studio and select the newly added connection. Now you can create a extension by choosing the required tables. Deploy the component.

Now in your application you can get this from the reference window.


Reference - https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Extensibility_and_Integration/Integrate_with_an_External_Database


Solution

Sourav Pasari wrote:

Hi,

You create a db connection in service center first and test if the connection is successful. Then Open your Integration studio and select the newly added connection. Now you can create a extension by choosing the required tables. Deploy the component.

Now in your application you can get this from the reference window.


Reference - https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Extensibility_and_Integration/Integrate_with_an_External_Database


 Thanks, so after doing this I should have an open database size right? not just the 2gb limit.

 

Faris Abdullah Almozini wrote:

Sourav Pasari wrote:

Hi,

You create a db connection in service center first and test if the connection is successful. Then Open your Integration studio and select the newly added connection. Now you can create a extension by choosing the required tables. Deploy the component.

Now in your application you can get this from the reference window.


Reference - https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Extensibility_and_Integration/Integrate_with_an_External_Database


 Thanks, so after doing this I should have an open database size right? not just the 2gb limit.

 

 

 Yes

Hi Faris,

Hope you're doing well.

Let me just add some points in this discussion :)


In order to use OutSystems as a programming language, you need to install the OutSystems Platform Server. The Platform Server is the core of OutSystems for an environment and it is responsible for generate, optimize, compile and deploy applications in that environment.

By the time you are installing the Platform Server in an environment, you will be asked to configure the Database Server that is going to support it behind the scenes. This Database is going to have (for example) all of the System tables and Log tables of your environment, as such as your applicational tables (created automatically using Service Studio).

Unfortunately, you can only do this when it is the own OutSystems costumer managing its own infrastructure (on-prem installation). For Personal Area, you won't be able to configure and change the Database Server associated to it and the limit for this Database is 2GB.


With that said, Sourav is talking about a different scenario, which is integrating with an External Database. Imagine that you have some data in an External Database (not the one associated to your Platform Server) and you want to use tables from this External Database in your applications. You can do it following Sourav's description :)


However, I just want to mention that integrating with an External Database won't switch your Platform Server database behind the scenes. Your tables created in Service Studio will always be created in the first database server and have that 2GB limit.

Integrating with an External Database will only allow you to use those external tables in your application.


Hope it helps you!


Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Sourav Pasari wrote:

Faris Abdullah Almozini wrote:

Sourav Pasari wrote:

Hi,

You create a db connection in service center first and test if the connection is successful. Then Open your Integration studio and select the newly added connection. Now you can create a extension by choosing the required tables. Deploy the component.

Now in your application you can get this from the reference window.


Reference - https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Extensibility_and_Integration/Integrate_with_an_External_Database


 Thanks, so after doing this I should have an open database size right? not just the 2gb limit.

 

 

 Yes

 Thanks,

I tried it but I keep having error when connecting.

Here's what I did:

 


My database name is the one I connect my MSSL to right?

I think is: EC2AMAZ-AMRTI4C

And the server is aws, is putting amazongaws.com like the link you gave me the right approach?

About my username and password, what should I put?

My aws server account or my MSSL account?


I think there's something I'm doing wrong here


Thanks



Rui Barradas wrote:

Hi Faris,

Hope you're doing well.

Let me just add some points in this discussion :)


In order to use OutSystems as a programming language, you need to install the OutSystems Platform Server. The Platform Server is the core of OutSystems for an environment and it is responsible for generate, optimize, compile and deploy applications in that environment.

By the time you are installing the Platform Server in an environment, you will be asked to configure the Database Server that is going to support it behind the scenes. This Database is going to have (for example) all of the System tables and Log tables of your environment, as such as your applicational tables (created automatically using Service Studio).

Unfortunately, you can only do this when it is the own OutSystems costumer managing its own infrastructure (on-prem installation). For Personal Area, you won't be able to configure and change the Database Server associated to it and the limit for this Database is 2GB.


With that said, Sourav is talking about a different scenario, which is integrating with an External Database. Imagine that you have some data in an External Database (not the one associated to your Platform Server) and you want to use tables from this External Database in your applications. You can do it following Sourav's description :)


However, I just want to mention that integrating with an External Database won't switch your Platform Server database behind the scenes. Your tables created in Service Studio will always be created in the first database server and have that 2GB limit.

Integrating with an External Database will only allow you to use those external tables in your application.


Hope it helps you!


Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

 Very helpful info thanks!

I didn't understand one point, so connecting to external database won't let me exceed my 2gb limit?

I want to save all the data coming from my app there so the 2gb will be focused only for the app size, can I do this by connecting an external database?

Hello again Faris,

Sorry for my late reply!

Responding to your questions:

Connecting to an external database will let you to integrate with tables from that external database. You can access them (for example, using Aggregates) and you can create records on those tables. Here's an example of an integration:

As you can see, I'm integrating table OUT_CCTOCOE from ReferenceDataStaging extension in my module and I can create records using CreateOUT_CCTOCOE action in my OutSystems actions. These tables are stored in the external database server (where you don't have the 2GB limit).


You can use this approach to "exceed" your limit in a certain way, but this is not applicable for all of the tables in your environment, because the database server supporting Platform Server won't change and it will always have 2GB limit.


Like I mentioned before, entities created directly in your OutSystems modules (for example, in a core module) will always be stored in the database associated to your Platform Server. And this is the database with that 2 GB limit. Tables associated to your environment (logging tables, system tables, etc.) will also be stored in this database.


Hope that this helps you!


Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Rui Barradas wrote:

Hello again Faris,

Sorry for my late reply!

Responding to your questions:

Connecting to an external database will let you to integrate with tables from that external database. You can access them (for example, using Aggregates) and you can create records on those tables. Here's an example of an integration:

As you can see, I'm integrating table OUT_CCTOCOE from ReferenceDataStaging extension in my module and I can create records using CreateOUT_CCTOCOE action in my OutSystems actions. These tables are stored in the external database server (where you don't have the 2GB limit).


You can use this approach to "exceed" your limit in a certain way, but this is not applicable for all of the tables in your environment, because the database server supporting Platform Server won't change and it will always have 2GB limit.


Like I mentioned before, entities created directly in your OutSystems modules (for example, in a core module) will always be stored in the database associated to your Platform Server. And this is the database with that 2 GB limit. Tables associated to your environment (logging tables, system tables, etc.) will also be stored in this database.


Hope that this helps you!


Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

 

 Thanks, that was very clear for me I got it.


But I couldn't connect to my external database as I keep having a network error.


Referencing my question to Mr. Sourav Pasari above:

I don't know if the information I filled was right or not.


My database name is the one I connect my MSSL to right?

I think is: EC2AMAZ-AMRTI4C

And the server is AWS, is putting amazongaws.com like the link above the right approach or should I put  a different thing?

About my username and password, what should I put?

My aws server account or my MSSL account?


I think there's something I'm doing wrong here


Hi,

I think server name should be some thing like bellow - 


What the information you r giving in service center, same you try to put in sql server management studio and try connect. Pleaase check once. 


Sourav Pasari wrote:

Hi,

I think server name should be some thing like bellow - 


What the information you r giving in service center, same you try to put in sql server management studio and try connect. Pleaase check once. 


 I tried putting my sql sign in information but I keep having this error, looked all over the internet and did every thing said but no luck.