Two Enterprise Manager running at the same server

Two Enterprise Manager running at the same server

Hi.

At this time, I have several applications that use the same Enterprise Manager, but right now I'm developing an application that needs a customized Enterprise Manager. I'm wondering if it's possible to have two Enterprise Managers running at the same sever but associated with different applications.

I already tried to change an Enterprise Manager eSpace and rename it but the Service Center recognized it as being the same Enterprise Manager.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

You have to clone the eSpace, to tell the platform you want to separate from the original. You can do it in the Clone option in the File menu.

Best Regards,
Gustavo Guerra
I found that after posting my doubt eheh.

Thanks. :-)
Now I face another problem, how do I visualize the EnterpriseManager I created?

Right now, I have two Enterprise Managers (EnterpriseManager[Old] and EnterpriseManager[New]). To use the EnterpriseManager[New] I define the "User Provider" property on my application and on Enterprise.

But when I try to access Enterprise (http://localhost/Enterprise) I cannot see the EnterpriseManager[New].
I already try to create a new Enterprise, so I can visualize both EnterpriseManagers. On this new Enterprise I rename all references to the EnterpriseManager[New] and I also change all references on the EnterpriseManager[New], but when I do this all my problems remains because the nodes from the tree still redirects to the EnterpriseManager[Old]. I think this should be possible, but I'm complicating it.

If you need I can send the new Enterprise and EnterpriseManager.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Raquel,

I'm sorry to barge in, but I think this issue needs some clarification.

What Gustavo replied to you, saying that "You have to clone the eSpace, to tell the platform you want to separate from the original. You can do it in the Clone option in the File menu.", was to answer to the behavior you experienced when you renamed the original eSpace, and it was still being recognized as being the same. By cloning, you prevent that behavior.

Now, regarding having two Enterprise Managers running at the same server, but associated with different applications, seems a bit... chaotic, to say the least. Even if you clone the Enterprise Manager, as you have done, you are bound to hit several problems in getting it to run - as you are experiencing now.

I have to thoroughly suggest you to rethink your new application's architecture, under the light of what you need. What kind of customizations are you thinking of? Can't they be done to the original Enterprise Manager?

Using two Enterprise Manager eSpaces doesn't sound to me as something that is recommendable.

Do let us know what you have in mind, and what other alternatives are you considering for this problem.

Regards, adn sorry for the late reply.

Paulo Tavares

I have a centralize server and other people are developing using the default Enterprise and EnterpriseManager, what I want is to be able to customize a EnterpriseManager without meddle with their work.

Afterward the application will run in a server that only has one Enterprise and one EnterpriseManager, so these conflicts won't take place. If you have a better option, I'm totally open to try it..
Hi Raquel.

Thanks for your reply. Let me make sure I inderstood your scenario:

- You have a single development server;
- Other developers are working on eSpaces that use the existing EM;
- You want to customize the EM eSpace, but don't want to interfere with their work;
- After your customizations, they will be merged to the existing EM, and everyone will be referencing the EM you customized.

If this is the case, then what I have to warn you about is that the merge process might not be seamless, since some of the screens, actions, etc, might not be paired up, because when you clone the eSpace the keys of all the objects are changed. That way, what you'll probably end up when merging is two eSpaces that don't match on anything. Probably the best way for you do do this would be to copy and paste the changes back to the original EM, instead of merging them back.

Regarding the tree nodes, they are all configurable by clicking the Control Panel link on the EM tree. What you're probably facing now is that the Control Panel node, by default, is hardwired to the original EM's control panel.

What you need to do, then, is to access the following URL on your browser

/EnterpriseManagerNew/CfgControlPanel.aspx

and change the URL for the Control Panel, and then for every other node.

A different suggestion, however, would be for you to customize the EM in a different server - a Community Edition, if there's no other option - and then merge the changes back.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you choose to do, and what problems you run into.

Regards,

Paulo Tavares

You misunderstood the last part, in the end I won't merge the two Enterprises, the new Enterprise will be deliverable to the client.

Thanks, that link worked like magic and now I can see the new Enterprise data.
Hi Raquel.

I'm glad that sorted out your problem.

If in the end you are not going to merge the EMs, but deliver the customized one to the customer, then I strongly advise you to develop on a second server, and customize the original EM eSpace, without cloning.

If you are going to clone the eSpace, there are several problems that are going to come out of it, in the long run.
  • That eSpace will NOT be upgradeable when a new EM version is released, since you cannot either merge it with newer EM versions, nor publish the new EM versions on top of it;
  • When you plan on using components or other eSpaces that were linked to EM, you will always have to relink them to the new EM. While this may sound like a small issue, unless it is you who is going to maintain the code for the full lifetime of the application, other developers in the future that want to maintain or evolve the application will have a terrible time doing so, and will run into several problems.
In the end, the project you are going to deliver to the customer will not be built the best way.

We strongly recommend that you develop on a separate server, using the original EM - that is the best way to deliver such a project.

Let us know if there's something we can do to help you with this.

Regards,

Paulo Tavares