Views
Comments
Moving a code from higher environment to lower environment

Hi,

I have 2 environments - Development(lower) & Test(higher)

I have done the hotfix in Test environment and development has started in development environment parallely.

Now I want to move my code from Test to Development environment without affecting the currently developed code in Development environment.

Kindly let me know for any process has been established for this problem.

Thanks,

Venkatesh S

Hi Venkatesh,

You can do it with LifeTime.

In this case you will start a deployment from Test to the next environment, see image below (in my case from TST to Acceptance):

And on the screen to select the applications of your deployment plan you can change the destination environment in the arrow right next on the target environment:

In your case you will select Development.

Unless Test is the last environment of your pipeline. In that case, you should start from this option on your last environment (in my case Production 2):

Hope it helps.

Kind Regards,
João

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Joao,

I think what Venkatesh mentioned is , he made some hot fixes in Test but at the same time the development was going on in dev environment and hence dev environment will have the latest code . If he deploy back from test to dev the latest development he did will be overwrite and he will have the same version which is there in test env with the hot fix he made there.

Considering the hot fix is very specific and doesn't include huge changes in the entire application usually we do these changes manually in lower environment to keep keep the ongoing development unaffected .

Regards,

-PJ-

Thanks Joao and Pramod for your quick response, actually the change what I made was little complex in higher environment. So the only way to get the changes without affecting the current progress is doing manually right?

Thanks,

Venkatesh S

Hi Venkatesh,

I guess that's the way.. the other way which Joe mentioned will overwrite the dev changes. and other way around as well.

Better to get code merged manually in Idle time of development

Regards,
Swapnil

mvp_badge
MVP

Yes Venkatesh ,

This is the right and correct way of promoting changes from higher environment to lower environment without impacting the ongoing development!

Regards,

-PJ-

Hi,

i've never done any of this, so don't know if this is ridiculous, but what would happen if a developer opened the current dev version in service studio, then the prod version gets migrated back to the dev version, overwriting all dev changes, keeping only your hotfix changes on the server.

And then, after that, developer clicks one-click-publish, OS detects version difference and offers it's usual merge tool to help bring both versions in line.  Would that work ?

hi Dorine,

I think it might work when there are no conflicts during the merge. But it will not work in case there are lot of conflicts in same line of code then you would have to select any one of the changes during the merge. So chances are there that you will not have both the environment changes

So manual merge is safe option in such situations..

Regards,

Shilpa Uppund

Hi Venkatesh,

Another way of doing this, e.g. when the changes are quite local, is to open the module from Devthat you want to do the changes in in Service Studio. Then switch the environment to the Test environment. Here you can merge the changes you need from the published version. After merging, switch the environment back to Dev.

Good luck!