Views
Comments
Solved
Maintenance Window

Hi All,

I am planning to release my next version of the application. Now, I want to show the users a maintenance page (for like 30 mins) during the deployment. The release is an ad hoc process and it need not repeat again. My application is host in the enterprise environment and not on cloud. Please advise on the easiest way to do this.

Regards,

Abirami Srinivasan

Solution

Hi Abira,

Yes, that is correct.

But you can disable the application first in a non-production environment and try to access the page so you can see how it looks like when the application is disabled and enable it again.

That would be my suggestion to perform the pulling application offline and bring it online in a non-production environment first so you can test the process and then, yes you apply it in Production.

Regards,
João

Solution

Hi Abira,

You can set an application temporarily down by disabling it via Service Center.

For that you should go to Service Center on Production environment, navigate to Factory - Applications - (Select the application you want) and select the option Disable.

Once you disable it, you will have an option Enable to bring the application online again.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
João

Hi Joao,

Could you please let me know the below steps are correct?

1) Goto Service centre of PROD and disable the application as explained. 

2) Do the deployment

3) Enable the application again

When the application is disabled, there will not be any issues for the deployment right?

Solution

Hi Abira,

Yes, that is correct.

But you can disable the application first in a non-production environment and try to access the page so you can see how it looks like when the application is disabled and enable it again.

That would be my suggestion to perform the pulling application offline and bring it online in a non-production environment first so you can test the process and then, yes you apply it in Production.

Regards,
João

Champion

Hi Abira,

If you do the deploy via Lifetime, you have zero downtime, don't need to show a maintenance page. Why did you need to use this approach?

But, in every case, are you talking about a reactive or traditional application? The target environment, is production?

In reactive you can set that page as Homepage, but you will need to go to the target environment and change it. In traditional you can set that page for your default EntryPoint (and need to change it in the target environment).

Hope this can help.

Best regards,

Ricardo M Pereira

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I am using Lifetime for deployment. Even then, Management wants a maintenance window when no users can visit the site. (It is a public website). Is it possible in Service-centre/Application server IIS to bring the application down for half an hour?

By the way, It is a traditional web application and the target environment is PROD. 

Solution

Hi Abira,

You can set an application temporarily down by disabling it via Service Center.

For that you should go to Service Center on Production environment, navigate to Factory - Applications - (Select the application you want) and select the option Disable.

Once you disable it, you will have an option Enable to bring the application online again.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
João

Hi Joao,

Could you please let me know the below steps are correct?

1) Goto Service centre of PROD and disable the application as explained. 

2) Do the deployment

3) Enable the application again

When the application is disabled, there will not be any issues for the deployment right?

Solution

Hi Abira,

Yes, that is correct.

Regards,
João