Views
Comments
Can I connect to an sql database on premises using my free/trial account?

Hi

I am new to the Outsystems to evaluate if we can replace the UI, business and workflow from the legacy appy (.Net code,  SQL db's) while keeping the current database we have.

I am not able to connect to a db that sits inside my company network. Adding a connection via service center does not allow to test successfully, so when adding an extension using this db connection saved (but not successfully tested), I get an error that db cannot be accessed

Is this feature only available in upper licensing models? How could I evaluate then what outsystems can offer me?

Thanks guys

André

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Andre,

As you probably know, your free Personal Environment (I assume that's what you're using) runs in the cloud. You can only connect to databases that are reachable from there. So unless your company network has a publically accesible database (that is, anyone can reach its IP address from the internet), it's technically impossible to connect to it.

If you need to evaluate OutSystems and one of the evaluation topics is connecting to your database, I'd contact your local OutSystems sales office, present them your specific evaluation needs, and see what they can do for you. One of the possibilities I can think of is a temporary evaluation version that also runs in the cloud, but has a VPN connection to your network.

Hello,

I don't know if it helps in any way, but I managed to connect and use MongoDB and for me works fine.

mvp_badge
MVP

MongoDB is also a cloud solution right, not an on-premise db?

Yes, I just meant that with me MongoDB worked very well

mvp_badge
MVP

Well, it's good to know that it works in that case, but the OP specifically wants to connect to an on-premise db, so it's a different use-case.