Views
Comments
Solved
When we login with External Auth System is the password saved in the Outsystems DB?

I was watching the online course 'Custom Login with External Authentication' and it's said that after the credentials are sent and validated to the external system, one should create the user and login locally. But what password do we store in the Outsystems database?

Thank you.

Solution

Hi Mags,

If you are using external authentication system like LDAP or Active directory then the password is not saved in the OS DB. The field is blank and the user is getting authenticated from the external system.

Though it creates the user entry with basic details like email, username in the Outsystems DB when user logs in for the first time.

You can also debug the user_login action to check that.

Let me know if this helps or you need more details.

Thanks,

Unnati

Solution

Hi Mags,

To extend what Unnati has said above, there are 2 system actions available to create user session in OutSystems:

1. Login - Only requires UserId
  2. LoginPassword - Requires UserId and Password

Incase you are using external auth provider, the first one would be used since you OutSystems does not store the password. Refer the image for this.

Solution

Hi Mags,

If you are using external authentication system like LDAP or Active directory then the password is not saved in the OS DB. The field is blank and the user is getting authenticated from the external system.

Though it creates the user entry with basic details like email, username in the Outsystems DB when user logs in for the first time.

You can also debug the user_login action to check that.

Let me know if this helps or you need more details.

Thanks,

Unnati

Solution

Hi Mags,

To extend what Unnati has said above, there are 2 system actions available to create user session in OutSystems:

1. Login - Only requires UserId
  2. LoginPassword - Requires UserId and Password

Incase you are using external auth provider, the first one would be used since you OutSystems does not store the password. Refer the image for this.

Thank you for your kind answers.

So the purpose of using the system action Login is to maintain the user in Session.