Views
Comments
How do traditional "data structures and algorithms" fit into the OutSystems context?
Discussion

Happy new year all,

I'm just wondering: How do traditional "data structures and algorithms" fit into the OutSystems context?

For reference, see https://www.lavivienpost.com/data-structures-and-algorithms/

1. I understand that OutSystems has "structures", which can be multidimensional lists of records. However, it seems like traditional structures (like trees and heaps) are not visible in OutSystems. What is the OutSystems equivalent of such structures?
  2. As for the algorithms mentioned in the article, am I right to say that they are all hidden behind built-in functions and server actions like "ListSort"?

Thanks!

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi YS,

Array: and OutSystems List can be accessed by its Index just like an array, ListActions exists to add, or remove items.

Linked List, Tree, Binary Search tree, Max-Heap, Min-Heap,  Graph, Trie, Suffix trie: These are not out-of-the box available  in OutSystems, but you can create this using an OutSystems List with a structure for its items to support this.

Matrix (2 dimensional array); This is not out-of-the box available in OutSystems, but you can create this by adding a list into a list

Stack, Queue: Not standard available, but easy to implement using an OutSystems List.

The Array, Matrix, Stack and Queue are the easist to implement and will perform well, the others take more logic to implement and performance will depend on the amount of data in the structure.

Regards,

Daniel