Views
Comments
Solved
[Strava Connector] Guidance on where the Strava codes are input?
Question
Forge component by Vasco Santos
Published on 03 Jul 2020
Application Type
Service

New to OutSystems, so apologies for basic questions.

Where should the Strava Developer values (Client ID, Secret Code, Access & Refresh Tokens) be populated in the Demo app?

Solution

Hi Jeff,

I had a quick look at the connector (which looks really cool by the way, kudo's Vasco Santos...see what I did there) and seems like the application is currently setup to work for a single User.

The API used to generate the Token accepts a couple of input parameters. Namely the client Id, client secret, code and grant type. I assume all of these are user specific (excluding the grant type) and are required for the login/authentication process. See http://developers.strava.com/docs/authentication/ for more info on the Strava authentication.

Now, how this is done on the OutSystems side. It looks like the demo is using 2 site properties to store the client id and the client secret. 

Site properties are variables which can be set with a default value at development time, but set to any other value at runtime either programmatically, or by manually changing them in Service Center. The values applied to the site properties will be applied to all users using the application. Think of them as global application 'setting's' of sorts.

There are no default values provided in the Strava example as I am sure Vasco did not want to share this information, however you can set your own details in Service Center. 

Click the gear icon in Service Studio while you have the StravaConnector_CFG module open: 

Login in with your credentials, and then navigate to the Site Properties tab:

Here you will be able to open and set the site properties required for the authentication process. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Thanks to both of you!  I'm in and it's working.

Going to play with it a bit.  Next steps I'd like to look at are how this can be used to get data from multiple people (with their approval of course).  The API for extracting Club and Activity data is extremely limited in terms of what you get.  Whereas via the Strava web app, much more info is accessible on club members.

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hello Jeff.

Usually, that goes into the site properties

Go to Service Center.

In Factory select the Modules and StravaConnector_CFG.

Fill ClientId, ClientSecret.

The token is set on runtime.

Solution

Hi Jeff,

I had a quick look at the connector (which looks really cool by the way, kudo's Vasco Santos...see what I did there) and seems like the application is currently setup to work for a single User.

The API used to generate the Token accepts a couple of input parameters. Namely the client Id, client secret, code and grant type. I assume all of these are user specific (excluding the grant type) and are required for the login/authentication process. See http://developers.strava.com/docs/authentication/ for more info on the Strava authentication.

Now, how this is done on the OutSystems side. It looks like the demo is using 2 site properties to store the client id and the client secret. 

Site properties are variables which can be set with a default value at development time, but set to any other value at runtime either programmatically, or by manually changing them in Service Center. The values applied to the site properties will be applied to all users using the application. Think of them as global application 'setting's' of sorts.

There are no default values provided in the Strava example as I am sure Vasco did not want to share this information, however you can set your own details in Service Center. 

Click the gear icon in Service Studio while you have the StravaConnector_CFG module open: 

Login in with your credentials, and then navigate to the Site Properties tab:

Here you will be able to open and set the site properties required for the authentication process. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Thanks to both of you!  I'm in and it's working.

Going to play with it a bit.  Next steps I'd like to look at are how this can be used to get data from multiple people (with their approval of course).  The API for extracting Club and Activity data is extremely limited in terms of what you get.  Whereas via the Strava web app, much more info is accessible on club members.