Views
Comments
Upgrade applications after Platform Upgrade

Hi,

We have requested for OutSystems Platform upgrade. I am refereeing below URL to upgrade applications to new platform version-

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Upgrading/Upgrade_your_applications_to_a_new_OutSystems_Platform_version

We have 3 environments - Dev, Test and Prod. 

As per document we need to create solution of all modules and publish it.

Do we need to perform this action for all 3 environments? 

or

We need to perform this action in Dev environment and deploy applications in Test and Prod using LifeTime?

Best Regards,

Nitin

Hi Nitin,

Good evening!

I think that's ideal but from my experience, if your apps are not well architectured, publishing of solution may take some time or there might be a scenario that you have to upgrade some apps explicitly.

At the same time we opt to what you've mentioned "We need to perform this action in Dev environment..." we defined a strategy that works for us, but be careful on doing such specially if you have ongoing Dev/UAT that will be accidentally deployed to QA/Prod.

Let's wait for the other community members to comment out.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Chris

Hello there Nitin,

(I am assuming that you have an on-prem infrastructure)

The Platform Server version is independent for each environment. This means that you need to execute that upgrade for each environment individually.

It is possible to have different versions of the platform in an infrastructure (for example, you can have version 11.9.1 in DEV/QUA environments and version 11.9.0 in PROD environment).

One of the steps during the upgrade (per environment) is to republish your entire factory, so all the modules can be compiled and upgraded to the new version. In order to do that, you may create a solution of all modules and publish it.

But if you deploy these applications after that, they won't be upgraded by themselves in the target environment. Like I said before, you need to execute that upgrade for each environment.

So, responding to your questions:

1. Do we need to perform this action for all 3 environments? 

Yes.

2. We need to perform this action in Dev environment and deploy applications in Test and Prod using LifeTime?

You can migrate the code (if the versions are compactible), but the Platform Server version won't be upgraded.

My advice is that you carefully schedule these interventions, starting by DEV. If it is all good and no errors were reported, then you can evolve to QUA and after to PROD.

You should follow the Checklist for OutSystems Platform Server Installation:

Hope that this helps you!

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Hello Rui,

Thank you for brief explanation!

We have OutSystems cloud infrastructure. 

At first we have requested for platform upgrade for Dev environment. We have republished entire factory of modules from Service Center(Dev). Now all applications in Dev environment are upgraded to new platform without any error. 

Now we have requested OutSystems for platform upgrade for Test and Prod environment and it's completed.

In this scenario - 

Is it must to republish entire factory of Test and Prod from respective Service Center?

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Upgrading/Upgrade_your_applications_to_a_new_OutSystems_Platform_version

If we skip above step then other option is -

Deploy upgraded applications from Dev to Test and Prod using LifeTime- This approach is manual and we need to deploy OutSystems system apps like Users, OutSystems UI, OutSystems Now, OutSystems Charts etc.

Best Regards,

Nitin