Views
Comments
New to Outsystems | Extra task attributes?
Question
Application Type
Reactive
Service Studio Version
11.10.11 (Build 38795)
Platform Version

Hi!

I'm new to Outsystems and I'm trying to build a test app using sample Excel_Tasks file. What I wanted to do is add extra colunms there (Status and Start date) and it worked fine and when I dragged these to the form and list view and fields are displaying just fine. But when I try to create a new task with these fields filled in it doesn't save the values? And same thing when editing existing tasks?

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello.

It seems you forgot to copy the values to the record.

Your entity Tasks has those fields.
Your screen has those fields.
Now your Save action needs to send the fields from the screen to the record that will be created/updated.

Do you have an assign doing that?

(if you share the oml or a screenshot of the save action it is easier to explain)

Hi

Please share your OML file, So we can look into it to found the problem.

Kind regards,

I don't have options to save my new fields? Only taskId is available here:

test.oml

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Glen,

As Nuno already stated your SaveOnClick action needs to send the fields from the screen to the record that will be created/updated. 

1. Go to the SaveOnClick Action
  2. Add Input parameters for every field you want to save to the database
  3. Go to the button (the screenshot you shared) and assign the variables from the screen to the inputs of the SaveOnClick action.

This is very basic OutSystems concepts, I would strongly advise you to take one of the Guided Paths for example Becoming a Reactive Web Developer, on outsystems.com/learn. It Its all free online training material with quizzes that will help you understand the basic OutSystems concepts in a fun way.

Regards,

Daniel

Thanks I did this and added all fields to save ation but nothing is happening when I click save button now?

test.oml

mvp_badge
MVP

This is how your SaveOnClick looks like:

Nothing is saved, this is how you need to code it:

Hi 

Your SaveOnClick action only has a validation, didn't do anything to save the record.

Kind Regards

mvp_badge
MVP

Didn't I just report that with screen examples?

Hi 

Also, your entity doesn't have the extra column. So you can't save the value

Please add the columns, and try aggain.

Kind Regards,

Sorry, you post when I was writing the answer. I notice it after I post.

Hi Gleb Kartashov

It might be faster to delete all the screens and logic and start over with a new EXCEL.

Kind regards,

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Glen,

I believe the way you approach learning OutSystems, isn't the most productive and fulfilling. 

I would strongly advise you to take one of the Guided Paths for example Becoming a Reactive Web Developer, on outsystems.com/learn.  It's all free online training material with quizzes that will help you understand the basic OutSystems concepts in a fun way.

I can honestly tell you that all I know from OutSystems I learned for free on outsystems.com/learn.

It will pay off, and you will enjoy developing in OutSystems a lot more

Regards,

Daniel

@Tom Zhao @Daniël Kuhlmann Thanks for responding, I'm starting to get a hang of it. One more thing I tried to do is assign a value to a field when creating a task, but it doesn't seem to work?

What I did is added a "id is null" condition to the default TaskCreateOrUpdate action but it does not change the status after creation? Though id value is being added. Could this be because I set the status field as disabled?

Module.oml

Hi

The problem is your sequence is wrong. You assign "Open" after CreateOrUpdateTask, Of course, it's not updated to the database. You have to assign the value before CreateOrUpdateTask. 

e.g. 

Kind Regards,