Custom Domain for different environments
Question

Hi

We are currently looking to use our own domain we registered from another site. I looked over the steps outlined in the outsystems provided guide https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Installation/Use_your_SSL_domain_in_OutSystems_Cloud#upload-certificate

however, I am still not seeing a way to update the prefix of the url. for example there are three environments dev, tst, and prod. Each url is currently appended with the such (###-dev.outsystemsenterprise.com, ###-tst.outsystemsenterprise.com, ###.outsystemsenterprise.com). 

Is there a way to configure these prefixes? This isn't an issue for dev and tst, but for production we don't want to end up with ###.newdomain.com, but rather just newdomain.com

Thanks for the help

Solution

Yes, both the options are possible. You may very much use any custom domain, as long as you are in control of the domain.

• You have to have a valid domain certificate with the right CN
  • You must configure the DNS of the newdomain to point to the assigned hostname

Regards,

Swatantra

Thanks Swatantra, 

I had another question about this  (i apologize Im new to this process). I see that we need to generate a CSR before we can request a certificate from the CA. For this CSR I found the following steps provided by Outsystems: https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Installation/How_to_generate_a_CSR

It appears we need to go through IIS and select a server. We don't currently have anything from outsystems on our server so would any of our own servers suffice or do we need to get this CSR from outsystems ?

You have to create the CSR at your own server. In on-premise environment, it's you who arrange and own the server. Hence, the generation of CSR and completing the certification activities stays with you. 

There are many manuals/blogs from (and outside) OutSystems, which explains the whole process very nicely. 

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hello fs_user,

The prefixes on outsystemsenterprise.com are just for when you don't change your domain name. If you want it to be newdomain.com, you just need to generate a certificate with a CN of newdomain.com and upload it. As long as the CN (Common Name) is valid, and you point your DNS of newdomain.com appropriately, then it will work.

Hope that helps!

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello.

I don't think I ever saw an OS cloud server using a second-level domain. They can:

1) have a special subdomain like apps.mycompany.com or outsystems,mycompany.com (leaving the main domain for the public and non-OS site).
2) or use www

But I'll let others have a say. It's been over a year since I last used that function.

Solution

Yes, both the options are possible. You may very much use any custom domain, as long as you are in control of the domain.

• You have to have a valid domain certificate with the right CN
  • You must configure the DNS of the newdomain to point to the assigned hostname

Regards,

Swatantra

Thanks Swatantra, 

I had another question about this  (i apologize Im new to this process). I see that we need to generate a CSR before we can request a certificate from the CA. For this CSR I found the following steps provided by Outsystems: https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Installation/How_to_generate_a_CSR

It appears we need to go through IIS and select a server. We don't currently have anything from outsystems on our server so would any of our own servers suffice or do we need to get this CSR from outsystems ?

You have to create the CSR at your own server. In on-premise environment, it's you who arrange and own the server. Hence, the generation of CSR and completing the certification activities stays with you. 

There are many manuals/blogs from (and outside) OutSystems, which explains the whole process very nicely. 

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.