OutSystems Pay-as-you-go Pricing Model Discussion

I can spend hours upon hours talking about how OutSystems is revolutionising the way we look at digitisation and the game-changing features it brings to the table, let alone the incredible community continuously enriching the forge and forums on a daily basis. This drives a lot of newcomers to setup personal environments and start experiencing the power of the platform for themselves, which consequently leads to training and even potentially becoming officially certified. 

Personal environments make this is possible and is a great introduction to the platform especially that there is no AO limit. This enables enthusiasts and entrepreneurs to plan, architect and demo their ideas in record speed, which is a huge first step but unfortunately for the majority of these people their OutSystems journey ends there.

As suggested by its name, a personal environment is not suited for commercial scenarios. This is mainly due to the limited number of users, minimum amount of allocated computing resources, unexpected outages due to updates, 50 day publish threshold and the limit of 1 environment. Also, looking at the fixed price of the next tier up forces entrepreneurs and startups to reevaluate their development and delivery strategy. This also means that if you're an invested developer or enthusiast you can't take your dedication to the platform to the commercial level unless you land an OutSystems opportunity in a medium/large organisation.

I truly believe if OutSystems adopts a PAYG pricing model (similar to whats already being offered by large organisations like Google, AWS etc.) rather than tier pricing they would 1. make OutSystems a very attractive option for entrepreneurs and start-ups since it'll provide a very low barrier for entry and 2. maintain and grow their adopters to unprecedented levels. To clarify, I'm not saying that the current pricing model is totally unjustifiable, as I'm sure there is running, maintenance and administrative costs to cater for, but a PAYG model is definitely more organisation-friendly even if the cost ended up being the same. In other words, even if the same amount computing resources/environments end up costing exactly the same using the PAYG model as the existing tier pricing model it would have at least enabled entrepreneurs and startups to scale from their free environment to reach that tier.

Keen to hear the community's thoughts on this.

Hi Ossama,

I feel the same as you, i think that Outsystems Team should look at this post and really think about some changes.

Regards

mvp_badge
MVP

That has been the pain of many. The previous free version (Community Edition) was better for some, Personal Environment is better for others. But no free solution is ideal.

OutSystems is well aware of what we need but is still a company targeting profit. Seeing from the business owner perspective, if I have thousands of small clients I have fewer trained users, which brings more costs (support), more poor implementations (reputation damage).
By selling OS as a free product in an unsupported model there are limits on what untrained users can break and the community does most of the support.
The paying customers have money so they probably have already trained users, good system administration policies, help from a partner... So when they reach for support, they have a real problem. And because they pay well, they get good treatment.

What you ask is for more steps between the $0 and the $4000/month.
That was a previous model. You paid by Software Units and had to count each If, Assign, Timer, Screen, Attribute... It made developers furious because a "reduce costs" mindset from the board affected quality on the field. Now companies are simply asked to pay by users and because more users mean more business, it makes sense.

Like you can see from the examples above, OS is constantly trying new pricing models and adapting to the market. Maybe you are a special case (ISV and MSP) and should reach OS to see what is best for you. Maybe one day we will get a PAYG model.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.