Parallel running Timers on the same server action? is it possible?
Question

Hi. 

I got a server actions that takes about 45 min pr call, and i need to call it 6 times (a data sync. from 6 different external servers). 

The action gets data from different servers depending on the "PartnerCode" input parameter. 

What i want to accomplish is to have 6 timers with different input parameters, and run them in parallel.  

Below a screen shot of the timer and it's propperties:

Now, this is not working ...

Below a screenshot of different approaches taken: 

Approach 1: Put each timer in a Process and run each process. 

Approach 2: Run each timer: 

Each flow are writing to it's own entity: 

Anyone know what to do, or how to accomplish my goal with running the same server action, but with different input parameter 6 times in parallel ? 

Found the Issue, small mistake in the "code". 

But now i'm limited to only run 3 timers :( 

Hi,

That is configured in the Configuration Tool. You need access to the OutSystems Server. 

I found another post related (somehow) with this topic:

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/46161/how-can-configure-the-max-concurrent-timers-in-a-espace/

Hope this can help.

Best regards,

Ricardo M Pereira

mvp_badge
MVP

The license page on Service Center doesn't show that limitation (anymore).

As Ricardo already mentioned it can be changed in the Configuration Tool (on-premise only).

Either way it is not advised to change.

Still in theory you can only run 6 times simultaneously if they are different timers, and no other timers are scheduled to run, and you have at least 2 front end servers. Taken into account that also the OutSystems platform runs different timers on different schedules, in practice it is probably not easy to enforce that the 6 timers run simultaneously.

From what you try to achieve I could not get what is the requirement that all 6 timers need to run at the same time. Why not schedule them all at the same time, and let the OutSystems scheduler take care of it.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi,

The same timer can only run once at any given point in time in your environment, even with multiple front-end servers. Multiple (different) timers can run simultaneously, normally 3 per front-end server, although that value is configurable it is advised not to change it.

In your case you would need to create 6 different timers, if you have 2 FE in your environment they can run all simultaneously, if no other timers are scheduled.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel. 

I did create 6 timers for the same server action and feeded them with 6 different inputs: 

But they refuse to run in parallel. even 3 at the time. 

And i cant se where to configure so that i can run more then 3 timers at a time. it seems to me that it is unlimited??: 

Found the Issue, small mistake in the "code". 

But now i'm limited to only run 3 timers :( 

Hi,

That is configured in the Configuration Tool. You need access to the OutSystems Server. 

I found another post related (somehow) with this topic:

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/46161/how-can-configure-the-max-concurrent-timers-in-a-espace/

Hope this can help.

Best regards,

Ricardo M Pereira

mvp_badge
MVP

The license page on Service Center doesn't show that limitation (anymore).

As Ricardo already mentioned it can be changed in the Configuration Tool (on-premise only).

Either way it is not advised to change.

Still in theory you can only run 6 times simultaneously if they are different timers, and no other timers are scheduled to run, and you have at least 2 front end servers. Taken into account that also the OutSystems platform runs different timers on different schedules, in practice it is probably not easy to enforce that the 6 timers run simultaneously.

From what you try to achieve I could not get what is the requirement that all 6 timers need to run at the same time. Why not schedule them all at the same time, and let the OutSystems scheduler take care of it.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.