Can moving an entity to a folder clear its data?
Application Type
Reactive
Service Studio Version
11.10.15 (Build 40206)
Platform Version
11.10.0 (Build 22422)

Three days ago I created folders in a core module and moved its existing entities to those folders in order to better structure it.  

Today, my team noticed that four out of the thirty entities were empty, with identity numbering restarting at 1 as though the entities were dropped and recreated. 

Could this have been caused by the restructuring process? 

Hi Vera,

How did you move those entities? Did you use drag and drop or have you used cut + paste?

With the latter it will generate new internal keys for the entities, which in turn end up creating a brand new table in the database.

The good news is that you old entities are still in the database, so you can rollback your module to the version pre folder creation. When that's done you can the redo the process but using drag and drop.

IG

Hi Ivo,

That makes sense - I must have used cut and paste on some of the entities. I have done a "Compare and merge with another version" and retrieved my data from the pre-problem version in that way, then redid the move being sure to drag and drop this time.

All is good now.  Thank you!

Regards,

Vera

The answer is No. Using folders in Entities is just a better way to keep the entities organized and doesn't affect the data inside.

Hi Vera,

How did you move those entities? Did you use drag and drop or have you used cut + paste?

With the latter it will generate new internal keys for the entities, which in turn end up creating a brand new table in the database.

The good news is that you old entities are still in the database, so you can rollback your module to the version pre folder creation. When that's done you can the redo the process but using drag and drop.

IG

Hi Ivo,

That makes sense - I must have used cut and paste on some of the entities. I have done a "Compare and merge with another version" and retrieved my data from the pre-problem version in that way, then redid the move being sure to drag and drop this time.

All is good now.  Thank you!

Regards,

Vera

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.