OutSystems and Ultimus BPM

OutSystems and Ultimus BPM

OutSystems and Ultimus BPM integration

Does it make sense?

In what ways does OutSystems out-runs Ultimus in workflow capabilities?
Does it?

Thanks a million
Hi Sérgio,

I don't know Ultimus, but I've worked with other BPM software in the past so I'll try to relate those experiences. I've also written about some of the usual BPM pitfalls and created some slides on how OutSystems relates with "the rest of the world". I've also shown our point of view to someone that already had experience with outher BPM suites. Maybe it helps as a general point of view.

As I see it the major advantage of OutSystems BPT over any other specific BPM product is the way it integrates with the underlying application. You usually never implement a solution whose sole purpose is to run a BPM process... you usually need forms to allow users to input data, and then those forms need to show specific business data... At this point things get awry once you work with a BPM suite: you build a process that is not in sync with the several applications, forms get inconsistent with the applications, you need complex APIs to work with the BPM suite in your application, customizing the BPM suite is very hard (and usually creates big (system) performance bottlenecks), etc.

Plus, since OutSystems is a full-fledged programming language, you usually get better support for customizations (and you'll get the productivity improvement OutSystems gives you). BPT was also built from the ground up based on the extensive experience we had in BPM projects. We included what is actually needed, the way a developer needs it, and left out what nobody actually uses - unless already in a very matured BPM supported organization - although they make good selling points - ex: process simulation.

What you usually get better in other BPM platforms (like I said, I don't know Ultimus) is the reporting capabilities. They are very extensive out-of-the-box. OutSystems has a lighter reporting section, and gives you the ability to build your own reports. One good way to integrate is to model a high level view of your process in the BPM Suite, allow it to be triggered through events like webservices, monitor the state changes and build reports there... and implement the more operational process (that works tightly with the supporting application) in OutSystems, calling the BPM suite services just to move the "general process" forward.

We also don't support BPMN notation or swimlanes modeling, but OutSystems process modeling is much more oriented towards execution. If you just need the modeling bit, I suggest going with something else (there are even some free alternatives); but if you need to execute them and give your users the ability to work on top of a web application and be guided by a Business Process... then OutSystems is by far much more productive.

Hope this helps...
Gonçalo Borrêga
Dear colleagues,

I want to contribute with some information regarding Ultimus integration capabilities which I understand will be very useful.

Ultimus is not a workflow is a real BPMS, probably one of a handful of real BPMS, since most of our comepetitors either come from the ECM or workflow arena. This means their service and datar architecture is not founded to go beyond the realm for which they were designed; local, low scale solutions.

Ultimus is totally different, specifically in the context of your question. Ultimus Adaptive BPM was thought with integration in its core. It's a platform 100% SOA, with an special construction we have patented called FloBots. Thus, it allows our customers use it as Process-Bus linking applications at the logical level. It's very common ifinding Ultimus connected with several external systems simultaneously. In banks is usual  finding Ultimus integrated with the transactional bank-end, scoring engines, external credit bureaus, and custodian service applications. In the industry we have Ultimus running the same process over differente ERPs. I mean even different brands (SAP and Baan, for example). 

The SOA architecture means that Ultimus provides both senses of control and communication. Foe excample, we can detrect when  Documentum has finished a workflow and activate the next task in the process or launch the next workflow but in Remedy.

The process builts can be published as WebServices which allows them to be used form external applications. In this conext, an ERP can launch process in Ultimus which provide back information to the ERP. This is also used in extranet portals where portal-based applciations needs launching processes. Such a supplier providing answers to an RFQ, or to storage need like in an SCM.

The beauty of all this is that Ultimus need almost no programming to do this. As I said integration runs through Ultimus veins and almost 17 years of experience; the longes in the BPMS industry suppports this.