What is the purpose of virtual memory, why we should enable it?

Hello there,

I'm new to OutSystems, and follow up with the installation checklist when installing the platform

I'm seeing that it recommends to enable and configure the virtual memory based on the Windows recommendation

My question is, what is the purpose of virtual memory for OutSystems?

As my understanding, the virtual memory is only used when there isn't enough physical memory, and since it's written on hard drive, the speed is much slower when storing on RAM

While my server still has a lot of available RAM left, should I disable it?

Thank you

Solution

Hello there,

After researching around, I have a conclude that, disable virtual memory actually doesn't give any benefit for the performance itself

Since your server has plenty of available RAM, page file isn't touched at all. so why should we bother? because of few GB of hard drive be consumed? I don't think so

But what if your server is in a heavy load, and all the RAM is eaten up? virtual memory will be your life vest, otherwise your application would be crashed or OOM

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Quang Tran,

You can read more on the platform best practices from an infrastructure standpoint in this document, but in any case here goes a screenshot of the explanation on why you should tune your virtual memory:

Kind Regards,
João

Hi João

Actually I did walkthrough this document, and the installation checklist also mentions about this tuning

But back to my question, what I am asking is, why should we enable the virtual memory, when I still have a lot of available physical memory left???

I have a 32GB RAM server, and the whole system just consumes only 8-10GB used RAM

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Quang,

It is a good practice and as any good practice, there are situations in which they are more critical than others.

In short, the use of virtual memory enables programs to run more efficiently and this is has nothing to do with OutSystems. Doing some searches on Google, you can find many explanations on the use of virtual memory like this one:

Solution

Hello there,

After researching around, I have a conclude that, disable virtual memory actually doesn't give any benefit for the performance itself

Since your server has plenty of available RAM, page file isn't touched at all. so why should we bother? because of few GB of hard drive be consumed? I don't think so

But what if your server is in a heavy load, and all the RAM is eaten up? virtual memory will be your life vest, otherwise your application would be crashed or OOM

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.