How can I represent a birthday of the 1st of January 1900?
Question
Application Type
Traditional Web

If the date of 1900-01-01 00:00:00.000 is considered Null in Outsystems, how can I represent it as someone's birthday? I could change the hour, day or second, but that seems like a band-aid solution.

Is this a huge oversight in the Outsystemscloud design? Why would the 1st of January 1900 be considered null?

Hi @Gordon Ramsay 

Check this thread, I think that as the explanation regarding null values: https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/33882/null-value-decimal/#Post184472

Regards

Gonçalo Almeida

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Gordon,

I am leaving the discussion to why OutSystems to decide to have a null date as 1900-01-01.

To answer your question, how can you represent a date actually being on 1900-01-01? 

You could, as a workaround, for example introduce an extra boolean attribute in your data model, that will tell you that 1900-01-01 for that record actually represents an actual date.

Regards,

Daniel

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Gordon,

Nobody who's alive has a birthday of 1-1-1900, so unless you are making a database of historical data, you'll be fine. Choosing some date to mean "no date" is a practice that's decades old, and chosing 1-1-1900 allows all databases to safely store the date (when OutSystems was designed, 15 years ago, other possible candidates like 1-1-0000 weren't available for that reason).

That said, if you really need a specific date field to contain a valid value of 1-1-1900, there's nothing stopping you to do that. Other than 1-1-1900 being equal to NullDate(), it works fine in all built-in date/time handling Actions and Functions like AddDays etc., you can display it, and so on. You just pick another date that indicates "unknown" or the like (1-1-3000 or something), and remember to not use NullDate() to test against that specific attribute.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.