Agile Methodology - Question
Question

Hi Community,

I was trying to find an answer to a question related to Agile but in different documentations, I got some different answers, Could you help me to answer it according to What Outsystems follows?

Q. What is the best time to write the test cases for an agile iteration?
     Is it in parallel of development or after done with the development of the iteration or when?

Thanks

Solution

Hi Daniel,

Got your point, as I just found while going through the training videos of Outsystems, that test cases are defined in the shape step of the iteration and developers have to consider these while creating the user stories as can see in the below screenshot from the Outsystems Training

Thanks & Regards

Nitish Kumar

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hello Nitish,

I would say the test  scenarios should be written down as part of the user story, and are part of the Definition of Ready (DoR). A user story is not ready to be pulled into a sprint it the test scenarios are not defined.

The actual functional and user acceptance testing can be done after completion of each user story, this can be done in the same sprint in which case somewhere in the second week of a 2-week sprint, the development of new user stories should be completed and focus is on stabilization and fixing results from testing. Another approach is that the user acceptance testing is done in the next sprint, but I am not a fan of that.

Regards,

Daniel

Solution

Hi Daniel,

Got your point, as I just found while going through the training videos of Outsystems, that test cases are defined in the shape step of the iteration and developers have to consider these while creating the user stories as can see in the below screenshot from the Outsystems Training

Thanks & Regards

Nitish Kumar

Solution

Hi Nitish,

As per outsystems , the best time to write the test cases for agile iteration will be before starting the development and after completion of the validation of user stories. 

Please refer this URL and the lesson materials attached  : https://www.outsystems.com/training/lesson/2281/shaping?LearningPathId=17

Regards,

Saravanan Santhanam.

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hello Nitish,

I would say the test  scenarios should be written down as part of the user story, and are part of the Definition of Ready (DoR). A user story is not ready to be pulled into a sprint it the test scenarios are not defined.

The actual functional and user acceptance testing can be done after completion of each user story, this can be done in the same sprint in which case somewhere in the second week of a 2-week sprint, the development of new user stories should be completed and focus is on stabilization and fixing results from testing. Another approach is that the user acceptance testing is done in the next sprint, but I am not a fan of that.

Regards,

Daniel

Solution

Hi Daniel,

Thanks & Regards

Nitish Kumar

In our practice, after making a story, it is assigned to developer and also to QA.

So, while developers focus on tech grooming, the QAs can do in parallel to think every scenario to test and then write down to jira. In addition, as QA is usually not a developer, then unit test and also cross test should be done among developers.

regards

Solution

Hi Nitish,

As per outsystems , the best time to write the test cases for agile iteration will be before starting the development and after completion of the validation of user stories. 

Please refer this URL and the lesson materials attached  : https://www.outsystems.com/training/lesson/2281/shaping?LearningPathId=17

Regards,

Saravanan Santhanam.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.