How the update happens after distributing the app to AppStore/PlayStore
Question
Application Type
Mobile

Hi,

If we publish an App to AppStore/PlayStore and later we made some code changes/enhancements, Do we need to upload a new build package to the AppStore/PlayStore or will this be auto updated once we Publish it from the Studio?

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hello Learn It,

Hope you're doing well.

Please check this documentation, as it explains very well everything that you need to know:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Delivering_Mobile_Apps/Mobile_App_Update_Scenarios

Basically the answer is that it depends on the changes that you're executing. You will need to generate a new build and submit it to the stores but just in some specific scenarios (check Situations when the user must install a new build section in the documentation above).

With that said, for example if you install a new plugin or upgrade a new plugin to a newer version, you will need to generate a new build and submit it to the stores. The same applies if you change your app name, icon or extensibility configurations.

If your changes are just regular code that doesn't affect anything mentioned in that section, these changes will be deployed in the server and the app will check and detect a new version and upgrade automatically.

Hope that this helps you!

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Hi Rui,

Thanks for the response. That was my question actually, because if we have a change in one of the pages or adding a new page, does that require a new build to be updated into the App Store / Play Store.

Can you confirm this please

To be frank, my concern is on the security that App Store / Google play Store is enforcing. Suppose a developer submits a build that align with their guidelines and once it is available in App Store, he starts putting potential threat/ Hack code into the build and as per your note, this build will be auto deployed without going through the App review process. Does that Sound correct?

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello Learn It,

If you are just doing changes on a page or adding a new page, that does not require a new build and you don't need to submit a new version into the stores.

You just need to deploy these changes and the app will detect them automatically and upgrade to the newer version.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello Learn It,

As far as I know, both Apple and Google have very rigorous security procedures and strict guidelines in place to monitor the security of apps to help keep devices safe.

So ultimately yes, if you are downloading an app from the App Store or Google Play, it is more than likely that it should be safe for you to download.

There is some available information about this subject. Check this interesting information from Apple Support.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

No, It will not reflect directly. You need to package again and Sign the build (APK/IPA) with same key store/ provisioning profile  for Android /iOS application  and then upload the latest build again for approvals.

for better understanding please follow below link

Publishing an App to App store/Google Store

Dileep

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello Dileep,

Hope you're doing well.

Please understand that you don't need to generate and submit the package everytime you execute some changes in the code, as it depends on the changes that were made.

So your response is not entirely correct, there are changes that are reflected automatically since the app detects them and upgrades automatically :)

You will need to generate and submit a new version of the app for some specific scenarios only.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Yes got it, I though if we are changing any application configurations like plugin, app main color or configurtion or icon etc then its should required..:)

mvp_badge
MVP

You're absolutely right then :)

It was just a matter of context.

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hello Learn It,

Hope you're doing well.

Please check this documentation, as it explains very well everything that you need to know:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Delivering_Mobile_Apps/Mobile_App_Update_Scenarios

Basically the answer is that it depends on the changes that you're executing. You will need to generate a new build and submit it to the stores but just in some specific scenarios (check Situations when the user must install a new build section in the documentation above).

With that said, for example if you install a new plugin or upgrade a new plugin to a newer version, you will need to generate a new build and submit it to the stores. The same applies if you change your app name, icon or extensibility configurations.

If your changes are just regular code that doesn't affect anything mentioned in that section, these changes will be deployed in the server and the app will check and detect a new version and upgrade automatically.

Hope that this helps you!

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Hi Rui,

Thanks for the response. That was my question actually, because if we have a change in one of the pages or adding a new page, does that require a new build to be updated into the App Store / Play Store.

Can you confirm this please

To be frank, my concern is on the security that App Store / Google play Store is enforcing. Suppose a developer submits a build that align with their guidelines and once it is available in App Store, he starts putting potential threat/ Hack code into the build and as per your note, this build will be auto deployed without going through the App review process. Does that Sound correct?

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello Learn It,

If you are just doing changes on a page or adding a new page, that does not require a new build and you don't need to submit a new version into the stores.

You just need to deploy these changes and the app will detect them automatically and upgrade to the newer version.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello Learn It,

As far as I know, both Apple and Google have very rigorous security procedures and strict guidelines in place to monitor the security of apps to help keep devices safe.

So ultimately yes, if you are downloading an app from the App Store or Google Play, it is more than likely that it should be safe for you to download.

There is some available information about this subject. Check this interesting information from Apple Support.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Yes I am totally agree with Rui's answer. I missed the context...:)

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.