[Add Dropdown List In Excel Sheet] How to pass Cell Number parameter, what is the format for that, please share syntex
Forge component by Salman Ansari
Application Type
Traditional Web

How to pass Cell Number parameter, what is the format for that, please share syntex  

Solution

ok, happy to hear the previous issue resolved.  YOu can mark that solution as resolved. it would help to others when would get same error

Let me check for this one. I Will back to you. :)

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Ajay,

What is your requirement. Please elaborate a little more.

Thanks,

Salman Ansari

Hi Salman,

If I am correct, he wants to pass a specific row/cell number where he wants to attach the dropdown to excel.

Amit

Hi Salman,

Amit is right, I want to add a drop down to a specific Row/column of Excel sheet but not sure how to pass cell reference to "Workbook_AddDropdown" server action's "CellNumber" input variable, tried multiple combination but every time its showing error "Validation failed Formula 1 can not be empty".

Ajay Shrivastava,

Ajay Srivastava, I am trying to help to solve this issue.

If you want to create a dropdown on a selected cell then try to pass "E3" with the input parameter CellNumber.

It may solve your issue.

best of Luck

Amit

mvp_badge
MVP

It should work.

@ajay could you please try that Amit said

Hi Salman/Amit,

I have tried by giving cell number as suggested by Amit, but still getting same error. PFA screen shots

ErrorMsg.PNG

can you attach a sample oml. So that we can look into that.

Hi Amit,

I was able to add dropdown in sheet at desired cell but I have found one limitation of this component as its not supporting items list having more than 255 characters, My requirement is to add a list of address which may have 200+ items and also each item may have more than 255 characters. please help me in this regard. Please find attached OML  

ExcelDropDownv10.oml

please find below the error message I'm getting while trying to add a list items. Please find attached excel for bootstrapping Movies data 

Movies.xlsx

Solution

ok, happy to hear the previous issue resolved.  YOu can mark that solution as resolved. it would help to others when would get same error

Let me check for this one. I Will back to you. :)

Hi Ajay,

I investigated your problem. In this component Formula container of that cell stores all of the available list options - basically a CSV list. That has a hard limit of 255 characters in Excel. 

So it's not possible to create the dropdown in excel over 255 characters.  you have to use substring in the advanced query to select the total no of characters less than 255 char.

Hi Amit,

You mean the entire list of items should not greater than 255 characters or a single list item should not greater than 255 characters ?, My requirement is to add a list of addresses which hopefully a individual list item may not exceeding limit of 255 characters but  as a sum of all list items will definitely bigger than 255 characters limit. I have tried to create a dropdown manually in Excel sheet and it was allowing me to add list of 3400+ items where some items even bigger than 400 Characters. Please suggest me if there is any way around we can accommodate it.  Please find attached excel for reference.

Book1.xlsx

it seems it is not possible to use this component. IS also tried to find the other ways most of have the 255 character restriction with other dot net libraries.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.