Why isn't my AJAX Refresh working?

Why isn't my AJAX Refresh working?

So, I found the world's most obscure "gotcha" today... I spent an hour trying to figure out why my AJAX refresh wasn't working. It turns out, a Popup_Editor on the screen was throwing a JS error... the one about how the link type isn't "Navigate". But here's where it gets really funny...

... the link type *was* "Navigate"!

The underlying problem was that the link was being disabled under certain conditions. When a link is disabled but still on the screen, it's type is "undefined" and as a result, the JavaScript hooking Popup_Editor to it was failing. Along the way, the scripts were halting, which was keeping my AJAX Refresh from working!

So... the morals of the story are:

1. If AJAX Refresh isn't working, bring up a JS debugger and look for errors.
2. Don't disable links that are tied to Popup_Editor.
3. OutSystems should fix the bug (I consider it a bug, at least) where a JS error at this stage prevents the rest of the page from working correctly (it should only impact that one link).

Hi JJ,

Old topic: http://www.outsystems.com/NetworkForums/ViewTopic.aspx?Topic=Popup-Editor-with-disabled-link
And about the behavior, I agree...

Rafael Pereira
Rafael -

Nice to know I'm not the only one! :) Thanks for passing that on. I was getting ready to start searching when I figured it out...