Endless Timeouts Occurring for a specific User
Application Type
Reactive
Service Studio Version
11.11.14 (Build 47936)

We are seeing a Timeout Error Occur during a data action request although it appears to only happen on a user by user basis. As well, once a user experiences a timeout, they are met with a timeout error on the same data action endlessly, regardless of whether they go to a place of better connection, logout and login, open a new browser session, etc (we have tried all of these). Every time they go to that screen they get a timeout. They are basically "stuck".

On the other hand though, we have other users who can successfully access the same Data action through the same screen without any timeout error, even while other users are in the stuck status. 

This leads me to believe there is an underlying issue. 

The only fix we have found in order to get the users experiencing timeouts "unstuck" from the endless timeout is to refresh the module.

Solution

Thank you Andrew, that means a lot to me and justifies my rather poor opinion on anonymous down voting which in the absence of a comment/ feedback serves little to no purpose.

As for the very valid questions you asked, searching the forums did not produce any answers as you obviously found out yourself, hence why I deferred to more experienced OutSystem experts in the end.

Given there have been no other responses to your post in 10 days, I think it would be a good idea to get with OutSystems Support.

Hello Andrew,

Is there anything in the data action logic that handles things differently based on the user? For e.g. does it maybe load or loop through more data for some users and not for others based upon the individual user configurations, roles etc?

Additionally, are there instances where a user was able to access the data action without issues in the past, but only now, once they hit a timeout, they remain 'stuck' with it?

Refreshing the module helps a user get unstuck, so just to be clear, is that particular user then able to access the data action without further issues?

Regards,

AJ

I guess i just replied to the initial post so you did not get notified.... See the messages below for the replies.

Hi,

Yes, the particular user is able to access the module once it has been refreshed without experiencing a timeout. Although, a timeout can occur again and they can become "stuck" again, at which point we need to refresh again and so forth. IT becomes an endless battle refreshing modules.

The particular user has been able to access data in the past yes. Once the experience the timeout they become stuck.

It could loop through more data for certain users but at the same time some users have no issue with this and others become stuck. The same number of initial data actions run for every user that is on the page.

Thanks!

To deep dive further. I was able to add Logging all the way up the stack of our server action that was "stuck". It appears to fail inside of a custom extension. I know this i added a general log call inside the extension function at the beginning and end of the method.


999/1000 this extension will run through fine, but once it fails once, it becomes stuck for that specific user. 


My question now is, how would I see errors thrown by an extension? These are not being logged in the error log because I do not see anything there. Where in service studio could I monitor the events for an extension?


Thanks.

Nice troubleshooting @Andrew Mitchell! As for the errors thrown by an extension, you could check the Service Center logs under Monitoring -> Extensions

If you do not see any logs for your extension, let's verify in the Extension Module's 'Operation' tab that 'Activity Logging' is checked (sample screenshot below):

Regards,

AJ


Yes, just double checked and we have Activity Logging enabled.

Hello @Andrew Mitchell 

Interesting, so in your custom extension have you tried using the GenericExtendedActions class? The following code will log messages to 'General' tab in ServiceCenter

GenericExtendedActions.LogMessage(AppInfo.GetAppInfo().OsContext, "Message to log", "Source");


Yes, just added those and it appears to fail while trying to load a license file. I think that fixing that code will solve this issue. My final question would be just why would the extension not log this naturally and is it supposed to? It is very strange.

That is a very good question and unfortunately I could not dig up a proper answer for this. 

Definitely one for the experts in the forum.

I was not the person to downvote you. I really appreciate your help. 

Solution

Thank you Andrew, that means a lot to me and justifies my rather poor opinion on anonymous down voting which in the absence of a comment/ feedback serves little to no purpose.

As for the very valid questions you asked, searching the forums did not produce any answers as you obviously found out yourself, hence why I deferred to more experienced OutSystem experts in the end.

Given there have been no other responses to your post in 10 days, I think it would be a good idea to get with OutSystems Support.

Actually you did solve your original issue so you could mark your post as the Solution. 

Since the questions that remain open are different from the post title, it might help to open a new post on Extensions logging, to attract fresh responses from the community.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.