[Multilingual Component] What is the future of the MultiLingual component?
Forge component by OutSystems R&D
Application Type
Reactive

Hi,

I was wondering what the future holds for the MultiLingual component now that it is 'discontinued'.

To be fair, in our team we actually liked the MultiLingial component very much, as it is really flexible.

Some advantages we had with the MultiLingual component we won't have (as far as I know) with the new translations system for Reactive Web:

1. We now have 1 excel file with all our translations across multiple modules.  If I understand correctly, with the new translations system, each module will have a separate translations table and excel file export to be managed.
    We now have one single excel file on a shared Teams folder, so the client or any developer can change the translations whenever they like (no merge conflicts thanks to excel's support for multiple simultaneous users).  We just need to upload our single excel file to our OutSystems translations module to load all new translations.  No need to ever export the excel from OutSystems.  Only importing needed.
  2. Currently we also add translations 'dynamically', at runtime, through bootstrapping.  We do this for translating codes we get from integrations for example.  During bootstrapping, we fetch code translations once and load them in the multilingual component.
    For example, an integration (REST api) might return a code 'A' (without translations). Another endpoint can return the translations for all these codes. We use this endpoint to dynamically generate entries in the translations map for the MultiLingual component, with keys like: "Codes.CustomerService.Status.A", which might translate to 'Active'.
    We can then easily translate these codes anywhere in the application by doing: GetTranslation("Codes.CustomerService.Status." + Code)
    Very convenient.
    I don't know how to solve this without the Multilingual component.
  3. We were thinking of letting users modify translations at runtime, through an admin page that manages our Translation entities.  With the MultiLingual component that's easy.  I don't see how that can be done without it.

Basically my question is: is it safe to continue using the MultiLingual component in the future?  As the new translations mechanism isn't as flexible as the Multilingual component, and there is a loss of functionality, at least for us, when making the switch.

Regards,

Steven

Hi Steven,

I agree with you, Multilingual Component give us the flexibility to change translations on the fly using databae instead of an excel file, for that purpuse I created this Admin Comnponent a while ago: https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/7249/multilingual-admin

I think community can keep the health of multilingual component if Outsystems drops suport.

Regards,

Romel

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.