Great moment in Agile Platform (success story!)

Great moment in Agile Platform (success story!)

So today I was giving someone a real hands-on of how an Agile Platform project works. He had done a few of the tutorials and was convinced that they were skipping things. He kept saying, "but where's the CODE?" He didn't understand that the "diagrams and pictures" WERE THE CODE! Suddenly he "got it"... this was a return to the 1960's and punch cards, where all of the "programming" was done in flowcharts and diagrams because "writing code" (punching cards) was so time consuming, you needed to get it right on paper well before it turned into code... Service Studio creates the "punch cards" (.NET code) for us based on our diagrams. What so beautiful about this, is that this is the *right way* to do programming. With the right diagram, anyone can write good code, Service Studio is just a lot faster than doing it by hand. :)

And when it hit him how this was working, I showed him Entity editing, how it automatically gets the label right based on capitalization, and figures out the data type based on the name... he says to me, "they've taken 50 years of programming standards and made a tool that just does things the way we've always done them."

That's actually a very good analogy, the flowcharts vs punch card one. With the Agile Platform we are indeed working at a higher level not caring much about implementational details (much of the time), which is very positive.

I wrote recently (in Portuguese, sorry) how this abstraction and the things we do automatically from it is bringing forth better applications which should have a very positive effect on user satisfaction.

But your analogy isn't complete. The Agile Platform does indeed bring us back to a kind of programming that focuses on higher level abstractions and (even better) takes away the (errorprone) task of converting those abstractions into "low level" code. We get one good thing from how programming was done in the old days and combine it with some of the features that are great in the modern day programming style: immediate feedback.

In the old punchcard days, making it with an error to the actual code was very costly: if you made a mistake in a condition you might lose a full day before you got the results back. On modern day interactive programming, those errors have little to no cost. An environment where error isn't so highly punished is an environment where more chances are taken, chances that lead to better creativity, and possibly a better application at the end.

This is to say that the Agile Platform goes back where it matters, and is still able to retain very good modern features of programming.

I must say you guys have come up with a great analogy!
I'll definitely start using it when talk to prospect customers ;)
This feedback is the reason why everyone here comes to work every day and tries to create a great product to work on!

Thank you very much for sharing it with us :) It just made our day.