Create stored procedure in PaaS

Hello all,

Happy new year!

In full cloud infrastructure, if I wish to create a stored procedure or view, how can i do it? Can I manipulate the database using tools like SQL server management studio? If not, how can I achieve the above requirement? Should I create this in an external database and integrate via integration studio?

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hello Krishnnambal.

In PaaS you don't control the database. That would be a IaaS.

When you need a temporary access to the DB in OS PaaaS, you have to request it to Support and the usual answer in No. The only way to be sure you don't break it, is if you don't touch it. And Support doesnt want your servers broken, not even by you.

If you really need that view/stored procedure, you can explain your situation to Support but I can advance you will hear a NO. Because you would do it first in dev, then in QA, then in Prod. That means accesses to 3 different environments, different database names, and a lot of trouble. A lot of things that can go wrong. If you can use an external DB, that would be easier.

If you have the on-premises license, you can install it with a DB that you control (either in local servers or on your cloud).

Thanks, Nuno!

Hello @Krishnnambal Sundaram ,

Wishing you the same..Have a great year ahead!!!

I hope below post will help you out.

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/14867/how-to-execute-stored-procedures/

Regards,

Ajit Kurane.

Thanks, Ajit. But my doubt is not on how to use a stored procedure. It is whether I will be able to directly interact with the database via any DBMS tool like SQL server if we go for PaaS or Cloud infra. 

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hello Krishnnambal.

In PaaS you don't control the database. That would be a IaaS.

When you need a temporary access to the DB in OS PaaaS, you have to request it to Support and the usual answer in No. The only way to be sure you don't break it, is if you don't touch it. And Support doesnt want your servers broken, not even by you.

If you really need that view/stored procedure, you can explain your situation to Support but I can advance you will hear a NO. Because you would do it first in dev, then in QA, then in Prod. That means accesses to 3 different environments, different database names, and a lot of trouble. A lot of things that can go wrong. If you can use an external DB, that would be easier.

If you have the on-premises license, you can install it with a DB that you control (either in local servers or on your cloud).

Thanks, Nuno!

Hi Krishnnambal,

Indeed, customer-created stored procedures would make it impossible for OutSystems to provide a true PaaS experience when it comes to support, availability, and product evolution.
In any case, please let us know what alternatives have you considered to the stored procedure approach and what are their drawbacks. Maybe there are interesting ideas for product evolution in this challenge.

Thanks.

Sure, Jaos!

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.