[Event System Reactive Web] Events_ReactiveWeb: Exception while trying to send data
event-system-reactive-web
Reactive icon
Forge component by Luiz Henrique Machado Widmar
Application Type
Reactive

Hi,

The example is simple. I  want to pass a single text from the caller to the listener:

• Calling:
  • Receiving

But when doing this I get a message:

Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: Cannot read more arguments. Only 0 argument(s) were written.

What do I do wrong?

Regards

Tomasz

Hi Tomasz,

Triggering and handling events in OS (including sending input parameters) is very trivial with the built-in Events without having to use third-party components. So I'm wondering why you're using this component instead of the built-in mechanism.

Hi  Aurelio,

But it is not an alternative to the native events. This is a powerful tool for sending messages from the parent screen to child blocks / webblocks (without touching the blocks' parameters!) or even to send them from a block to another block, placed somewhere inside the parent screen.

Regards

Tomasz

Hi Tomasz,

As a rule of thumb, I never use external components for functionality that can be achieved with the platform's built-in features. The issue you're facing with this specific component is exactly one of the reasons why. Add to that lack of proper support, the added overhead of having to keep an additional component in your factory, etc.

If you need to send messages from the screen to the block, you can do it without having to use the block's input parameters. Here's how. You can also easily use this to send messages from blocks to other blocks. For instance, block A triggers an event, the screen handles it and then uses the method above to send a message to block B.

I hope this helps!

Hi Aurelio,

1. Aurelio, sorry, but the topic is: how to use this component and not: how to avoid using it
  2. I think that the solution, you suggest, is similar (under the hood) to the solution applied int he Events_ReactiveWeb component
  3. I hope you don't suggest to explicitly apply the suggested technique in all places that require it; I mean - this technique requires to create some tools  (blocks, client and/or server actions) to make them easy-to-use; this, in turn, requires taking into account different contexts, designing, implementing and testing - a lot of work for which I have no time nor resources; do you suggest to cancel 90% of Forge and do everything by yourself because it has no official proof from Outsystems?

Regards

Tomasz

Hi Tomasz,

All I'm saying is that I believe it's a bad idea to use a Forge component for something that can be easily achieved with the platform's built in capabilities.

As for resources, think about how much time you've wasted trying to make this specific Forge component work.

Since I've already expressed my opinion and, indeed, don't know how to fix the specific issue you're having with the component, I'll refrain from posting further in this thread.

Best of luck!

Hi Tomasz,

can you show what is going on in those Arg server actions (and why server actions)  : i guess you are doing some sort of manipulation of the args being sent back and forth, i think maybe that's where your problem is

can you show the webblock in your screen with its properties : have you set the TriggerName and the event handler correctly ??

Dorine

Hi,

As I understand, you never used this package if you ask me, what ArgText and Arg action do. 

Thanks for being ready to help but I'm looking for somebody who uses this package and can easily, based on his/her experience, check, what is wrong with my actions.

Regards

Tomasz

This is usually my process : 

• I see a topic on the forum I'm interested in
  • I try it out
  • If I find a solution or feel like I could help if given some more info, I reply / share

In this case, after seeing your post last night, I downloaded that forge component and made a little demo app, and succeeded in triggering actions in different parts of my test screen / across webblocks.  

I don't see an Arg an ArgText server action in the component (only one webblock and one client action), so I thought about asking you a bit more about them to maybe explain why I could trigger actions and you couldn't.  That's all.  

But hey, on to the next for me, good luck with finding help for this, maybe send personal message to the author will be quickest.

Regards,

Dorine

Dorine,

Sorry for being, maybe, too harsh.

Events_ReactiveWeb (on Forge placed as Event System Reactive Web), as well as Event System, are only front-end wrappers over backend actions. These backend action (server an .NET in an extension) are placed in Event System and are the same for both versions. The Arg and ArgText belong to them.

I've  written to Luiz - the author of this asset. I hope this will definitely help.

Regards

Tomasz

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.