Integration Studio Problem

Integration Studio Problem

Hello all. 

I've encountered a problem (in attachment) while trying to use Integration Studio 6.0 to view the code for the component RESTFulWebservice (RESTFul Webservice supports XML and JSON).

First question, I'm guessing the extension was created using MS VS2010 (or newer?!), is it possible to downgrade it to 2008 version?

Second, since the requirements regarding Integration Studio for version 6.0 are:
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition to edit the source code of the Extension Actions. To edit SAP Wizard use higher editions than the Standard Edition of the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.
I'm using MS VS 2008 Professional, so I'm compliant with the requirements and I cannot edit the source code, so either the requirements need to be changed or the platform needs to prevent these version incompatibilities somehow.

Best regards,
Hi Pedro

There are no problems with the platform minimum requirements.
The Integration studio creates VS2008 projects (at least for now) but the users are free to upgrade those projects to an higher version.
So there can happen that some of the extensions shared by other users in the Network are in fact in a higher version that the minimum required.

You can either downgrade the .cproj file manually (using a text editor), try searching google for some pointers

• Open the extension in Integration Studio
  • Find the extension files on disk (should be unpacked on a subfolder in the directory of the .xif)
  • copy the Source\* files to a safe place
  • In Integration Studio on the Resouces Tab right click on the "Source" folder
  • Select "Exclude from extension"
  • Delete the Source folder in the disk
  • In Integration Studio click on the "Update Source Code" button
  • Now you need to manually copy/edit the .cs files with the ones you copied at the start
João Rosado
Hello João.

Thanks for the answer, I've searched about the downgrade process and apparently it's very easy, it's just replace the versions in the .sln file (as mentioned here and here), I will try this.

About the minimum requirements, I'm sorry to say but I completely disagree with you, Outsystems DOES have a problem with it's minimum requirements as it can be seen by my case (having VS 2008 and cannot edit the source code of a extension).

It really doesn't matter who upgrades the source code to a newer version, by allowing that to happen you are making your own requirements to fail. Worst, by allowing it to happen you are opening up the possibility of the code used cannot even be used by the .NET Framework 3.5 (again a platform requirement), since VS 2010 allows the use of code only present in version .NET Framework 4.

When you specifically state that the minimum required to develop extensions with Integration Studio on the .NET stack is VS 2008, you (by you i mean OutSystems of course) MUST ensure that Integration Studio output for ALL extensions can be used in the VS 2008.

This problem with minimum requirements can in fact have legal and contractual consequences, so I really urge OutSystems to review it ASAP (either change the minimum requirements or actually ensure them)
Hi Pedro,

Thank you for calling that into our attention. I agree that it would probably be best if we enforced the need to use VS 2008 for extensions, rather than allow for a later version of Visual Studio that may cause compatibility problems when the extension is used elsewhere.

I'll pass this info on to Product Management for clarification.

Hi Pedro,

We want to allow, up to a certain degree, some freedom to the what you can use.
So you want to limit all the users that already have a more recent version of a program just so you can stay on the older one.

Since VS2010 requires projects to be upgraded in order to be open its a VS limitation by itself, and you can take advantages of all the new features of both the editor and the new project files.

It's true that you can also switch the framework to 4.0 and we do not support that at the moment, but upgrading to VS2010 doesn't change that automatically. So it's not an issue.

João Rosado
João, you are not getting the point.

I understand that you guys don't want to limit the users to a predefined version of a 3rd party software, specially since as you mentioned you have new features that coders can take advantage.

While I see the point of not making that limitation, you must realize that if OutSystems states that VS 2008 is enough to ensure editing of the extensions generated by Integration Studio. That is not true and there are consequences for it. If these consequences outweigh the decision of enforcing a strict version to be used with Integration Studio (or another option like converting/downgrading the files) is a matter for OutSystems to decide.

Take this scenario:
  • Client asks for a solution application
  • OutSystems partner answers the request with a proposal for a OutSystem Platform application
  • Client analyzes the proposal, finds it interesting and requires a deeper knowledge of the OutSystems solution. After validating documentation and market analysis and what not the client concludes that it's the way to go regarding it's IT needs and furthermore all requirements for the platform are already met by them.
  • Client acquires the platform
  • Client is so satisfied with the application developed that it starts dozens of other projects it had pending using both internal and external resources in the project teams
  • One of the core projects was made by an external team which by some twist of destiny uses VS 2010 to code a vital extension that will need to be used and tweaked in more projects. The Client's only has VS 2008 version available (the requirements version).
  • All other teams that need to use that extension halt their work because they cannot edit the extension
Do you see a big problem in this picture? What would you say to a client in this hypothetical scenario? "Upgrade you Microsoft Visual Studio licenses to 2010 to keep using OutSystems"?

The client has documents stating that all it requires is "VS 2008" to edit extensions...It doesn't say "VS 2008 or VS 2010 if by any chance someone used that version while creating/editing an extension"

Can you see law suits and contract breeches happening?

Best regards,
Hi Pedro (and João),

You both make very valid points in your posts. I've already passed the details of this situation on to Project Management so we can find the best compromise in terms of maintaining convenience and decreasing (possible) liability when addressing the current state of things.

Once again, many thanks for your help and don't hesitate to keep us informed of incongruences like these. :)