Advanced Agile Platform Training

Advanced Agile Platform Training

Hello everyone,

We're currently preparing advanced (in-depth) content related with Agile Platform development. 

Can you share your top 3 topics where you would like to see us work on first? Be as specific as possible!

Thank you!
Mário, OutSystems Academy
Hello Mario,

Would do you mean with Agile Platform Development?

Does this mean only topics about development in Service Studio (like example for paging?) or also topics thats has to do with IIS /SQL Server (like best practice settings?).

Kind regards,
Evert
Hello Evert,

Anything really... Architecture, Best Practices for Performance, Database tuning, Mobile Development, etc...

You are a pretty experienced developer now, right? What would drag you to a one day workshop about the Agile Platform?

Best,
Mário
Hi Mario,

I do my best ;).

If I must choose 3 topic I would say:

- Server configurations (best practice/install guide for the OS platform using a front-end server and sql server). Not only the installation and the 'simple' settings that are available in the install checklist but IIS application pool architecture, best configuration for multiple processes/much users at the same time in the application, sql-server tuning, how to handle 'old' table data, sql server architecture and so on, how to apply multiple catalog, best way to use full cpu/ram.

- Information how to get the full platform benifits (what is the best way to set data to a table with navigation, why use/not use referenced actions (with text/Rec/RL parameters) instead of quering to the tables directly, settings when the platforms apply the benifits (production mode, queries in screen action), prefent sql injection/url manupilation, BTP settings. Maybe together with above topic: how to set seo url/server side caching.

- More information/practice how to use integration studio

I think it would be great if there were some 'example' eSpaces by subject (like best way to set table paging or how to handle queries with more joins/data, example of some highly used extensions (fileSystem/xml records), webservice adoption and some more :).

Hummmm maybe I want to know to much :)

Kind regards,
Evert

1) Theming: Theming tutorial for front-end web developers 

-How to convert a standard HTML/CSS into a ServiceStudio Theme, 

-How theming in ServiceStudio is different from traditional visual studio IDE/Eclipse IDE etc

-Best Practices: What you should do and what not to do with your CSS when designing a Servicestudio theme.

(Basically an overview tutorial for designers, that has never used ServiceStudio IDE before, for theming)

2) Architecture, Best Practices: 

-How to refactor from a single eSpace into many eSpaces using the eSpace modules etc 

-Show case outsystems high scalability features (design, setup/deployment/maintenance etc) 

-Show case how to manage users in an cloud/SaaS applications (managing roles in a cloud application vs corporate application are two very different types of applications)

3) Tricks and tips

-Intelliwarp 

Do more tutorials on Cloud/SaaS type applications.

Mario,

excellent idea :)

1) Architecture - how to setup espaces the right way (datamodel, businesslogic, front-end, backend) to think of the future and have many developers

2) How to setup a common espace with login, exception pages etc including 1 theme that will be used over multiple espaces.
     And how to deal with the menu in this case (each espace will have it's own espace)

3) data merging from production to acceptance en development. How to keep the base-data correct.

Joost
-----------------

1) Architecture - how to setup espaces the right way (datamodel, businesslogic, front-end, backend) to think of the future and have many developers

Great idea!

2) How to setup a common espace with login, exception pages etc including 1 theme that will be used over multiple espaces.
     And how to deal with the menu in this case (each espace will have it's own espace)

eSpaces having its own individual menu options?

3) data merging from production to acceptance en development. How to keep the base-data correct.

Refactoring? How data is ported over from one eSpace to another without losing its data? 

Hi everyone.

Theming is definitly an important topic to discuss, 6.0 Platform has a new approach to Themes/CSS. Excellent idea Robert.
- How to build one StyleProvider taking in consideration the 6.0 new Themes/CSS approach.

Tricks and tips
-Intelliwarp (Tumbs up Robert, once again!)
- Multi-Language
- BPT (Do's and Don'ts and best practices)

Kind regards,
Daniel Martins

Hi Mário.
Great ideas everyone.

I would just like to add one thing that I believe it's lacking:

Extension Development
Extension applicability (when/where/why do you need to build one?), Do's and Don'ts, best practices, and especially in-depth insight of the platform's classes in the various namespaces (OutSystems.*).

I believe most of us learned through trial and error, as there isn't that much information on the subject. :)