static entities and their id

static entities and their id

Hi,

by default a static-entity got the id as an autonumber.
Why is that so, this means that static-entities over different servers will have a different id possible, I don't like the thought of that:

Now I have to synchronize some data between 2 servers.
This is causing issues because of the static entities (which was unexpected btw)

if I changed the id to a non-autonumber, will the current id's stay, or they become obsolete and effectively destroy the integrity in my database?

thanks in advance,

Joost
Joost, A static entity is much like a standard entity, (maybe with some cache) it means when you create a static entity it's going to create a table in your database, just like a standard entity. If you manually input the identity key, the values you assign to it will always stay the same.
I understand is works like a normal entity, but what is the point of being static then, except in design mode.

Imho it's semi-static, because you cannot count on the id's being the same in every database you are publishing those statics.

II have a workaround for it, but not happpy about static entities not being static :)
Joost Landgraf wrote:
I understand is works like a normal entity, but what is the point of being static then, except in design mode.

Imho it's semi-static, because you cannot count on the id's being the same in every database you are publishing those statics.

II have a workaround for it, but not happpy about static entities not being static :)

Good point, Joost.

Static entities should have the IsAutoNumber set to "No" by default.
It's definitely an interesting idea/behaviour to post at the "Wisdom of Crowds".
It would have my vote.

Regards.
Joost I believe it works the way it does so thay you could easily convert, between entity and static entity!
I guess the trick is as Robert says is to switch off 'Is AutoNumber' and assign yourself the id as you could get in a real mess between environments over time.

(Frustrated as I can't set a Default Value on an entity that refences a static entity, hence looking around this area. Not too frustrated thou as I am enjoying the data modeller)