Consume a Web Service in Integration Studio

Consume a Web Service in Integration Studio

The OutSystems Agile Platform includes a feature to import Web Services and automatically create the code and data structures to be able to call Web Service methods just like if we were using actions built with Service Studio.
However, there are some patterns of web services which cannot be natively consumed with this feature. For these cases, the alternative will most of the times be to consume the Web Service in Integration Studio.

This post explains step by step how to create an Extension to consume a web service using Integration Studio and then using it in Service Studio. The basic layout of what you need to do is the following:
  1. Create an extension with one Action for every web service method you need to use
  2. Create a data model (structures) to represent the data types in your web service
  3. Import the web service in the extension's code using Visual Studio
  4. In the action implementation you'll need to call the web service method by mapping the inputs and outputs from the web service datatypes to your extension data model.
This post will cheat through steps 2 and 4 by having a very simple data model, but that is usually where most development time will be spent.

To illustrate how to consume a web service, I have created an eSpace which provides the web service to be consumed by our extension. This simple web service is called HelloWorld and contains only one method named Ping which returns the input Text with "pong: " prepended to it.

To consume this webservice you need to create an Action for the Ping method, and setup its inputs and outputs according to the data types defined in the web service. In this case, the types are simple Texts, in most cases this might get a bit more complex with structures to hold more complex data types.

Once the action is created, we need to implement it. For that we open the extension's source code by clicking the "Edit Source Code .NET" button on the toolbar.

This will open Visual Studio and now we need to import the Web Reference in .Net.

Right Click on "Service References" and click "Add Service Reference..."

Click "Advanced..."

Click "Add Web Reference..."

Fill the URL Field with the path to your WSDL and click the little green arrow.

After the WSDL is loaded and all the information seems correct, click "Add Reference" to add it to your project.

Now all there is to do is implement our Ping Action so that it calls the web service.

Edit the WebServiceConsume.cs file add 

using OutSystems.NssWebServiceConsume.vmos60netx64;

to the header and implement the MssPing method with:

HelloWorld webservice = new HelloWorld();
ssOutput = webservice.Ping(ssInput);

Close Visual Studio, Verify and Save the Extension and publish it on the server.

Now eSpaces will be able to reference this extension's Ping Action and use the HelloWorld web service.

You can find the eSpace (with an example usage of the Ping Action in the entry Web Screen) and the extension used in this tutorial in attachment so you can inspect the code yourself.

With this you can import any Web Service supported by Visual Studio into the OutSystems Agile Platform.
What we REALLY need... VERY BADLY! is a way to natively consume (and expose!) RESTful Web services from Service Studio directly. SOAP is quickly losing ground, and I am pretty tired already of writing hard-to-debug code in Integration Studio to work with REST. :(

J.Ja
Is this Solution valid for Webservices with Authentication?

Since i can't normally reference it on the espace:

TIA,
J Kaufman
J Kaufman -

I beleive so.

J.Ja

Justin James wrote:
What we REALLY need... VERY BADLY! is a way to natively consume (and expose!) RESTful Web services from Service Studio directly. SOAP is quickly losing ground, and I am pretty tired already of writing hard-to-debug code in Integration Studio to work with REST. :(

J.Ja
For restful web service it could be done, using WADL, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Application_Description_Language

Saddly I dont see many (none?) providers using this? so its not possible for outsystems to support restful web services until providers start to adapt to a standard way to describe their restful web services.
Hello Kaufman,

You shouldn't need to use this solution if your only problem importing the web service in Service Studio is that the URL needs authentication.

You may supply the credentials when importing the web service http://user:password@web_service_location/, or, alternatively, download the .wsdl (and all its dependencies) locally and import it from a local file instead of an URL (file://C:\file location\file_name.wsdl).

@Robert,

Indeed it is a shame that there seems to be no standard way used by _any_ providers to describe RESTful Web Services. But that doesn't mean we can't try and provide a way to more easily consume those kind of API's.
Ricardo Silva wrote:
Hello Kaufman,

You shouldn't need to use this solution if your only problem importing the web service in Service Studio is that the URL needs authentication.

You may supply the credentials when importing the web service http://user:password@web_service_location/, or, alternatively, download the .wsdl (and all its dependencies) locally and import it from a local file instead of an URL (file://C:\file location\file_name.wsdl).
 Hello Ricardo Silva

i tried your first solution  http://user:password@web_service_location/ and this was the result:

a sligthly different error then before but the same result nevertheless.

the 2nd solution worked for me as i downloaded the xml and not the wsdl to the local drive and referenced it.

Hi,

there's a downside to importing the WSDL via local file. In my case the WSDL has several imports, all of them using client certificate authentication making this solution impracticable.

It would be nice if Service Studio had the possibility to import Web references that require Client Certificate.

Regards
António Braz
Anyone fiddled with complex wsdl (with substitution groups in the xsd)?

We are investigating liquidXML, but it got issues.
anyone got a better tool for generating code of those complex wsdl's ?

J. wrote:
Anyone fiddled with complex wsdl (with substitution groups in the xsd)?

We are investigating liquidXML, but it got issues.
anyone got a better tool for generating code of those complex wsdl's ?

For complex web services, would it not be easier to consume the web service via  an integration studio extension (i.e C#/Java class library) ? 

Well, yes.

But substitution groups are not handled by .net/wcf by default.
so I need to find another tool that will generate the c# classes for me...

what do you mean by substitution groups?.. and c# classes? you mean auto generated structure models?