[Opinion Wanted] Threaded mode in Forums?

[Opinion Wanted] Threaded mode in Forums?

Hi everyone,

As you (probably) know, we keep throwing around ideas on to improve life in the Community site. Sometimes this involves implementing new stuff (which we are doing), sometimes it means throwing away features that may not be used and just add entropy (and code) to the whole thing.

Recently someone internally brought up the usefulness of the threaded view feature. To be honest I don't have metrics on how much it is used (*shame*) so I thought I'd ask you guys explicitly.

So, do you find it useful and use it at all? Do you even know it exists? :)

Thoughts are welcome - thanks in advance!

Miguel
Do you find it useful? Nope, tried it once, did not like it/understand it
Do you use it? Nope
Do you know it exists? Yep

Hi Miguel,

As I see, the main advantage of threaded discussions is that they allow the reader to appreciate quickly the overall structure of a conversation (specifically, who is replying to whom).
However, some forums have long-running discussions or specific threads of discussion meant to address specific topics.
These often do not want new threads started unnecessarily, as large numbers of threads can become overwhelming.
More, by controlling the threads of discussion, these forums focus their users on specific topics and reduce the amount of off-topic message, ie, it lead us to unnecessary Threads.
So, I have to agree with Joost opinion:
"
Do you use it? Nope
"

Best Regards

G.Martins

It could be useful, but most of the conversations are too short for this functionality.
You should be able to select the depth of the conversations and then only show the main thread and hide the sub-conversations that are deeper than the selected conversation to make the conversation more readable and to stay focussed on the original conversation.

My answers:
Do you find it useful? Not with the small threads and not being able to close sub-conversations.
Do you use it? No
Do you know it exists? Yes
Some good points being made here already. Can't really disagree with the idea that, even assuming threading is useful, our implementation (and type of threads) limits its usefulness.

Keep your opinions coming,

Miguel
As Joost said:

Do you find it useful? Nope
Do you use it? Nope
Hi,

Personally I'm against it. Think I submitted a negative feedback about it on the first day after it was added.

Do you find it useful? No, because it depends where users click on the Reply/Quick Reply. It just gets a total mess without any order.
Do you use it? No
Do you know it exists? Yes

Regards,
João Rosado